Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Questions: Do I really need one?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB Questions: Do I really need one?

So im planing a trip with 2 other buddies to go off roading and camping at Padre Island National Seashore here in Texas. Theres really no cell service there so I would imagine the only way to commucate for emergencies would be to get a CB radio. Just some questions like how do I use the thing? Do I really need it? What is everyones opinion on the Midland 75-822 I would be hooking up an exteral antenna for the record. Whats everyones opinion on CB radios? I am going to be on the road for about 3 hours going from San Antonio to North Padre Island close to Corpus Christi. Any other useful advice would help thanks!

Last edited by TacomanBJK12; 05-24-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TacomanBJK12
So im planing a trip with 2 other buddies to go off roading and camping at Padre Island National Seashore here in Texas. Theres really no cell service there so I would imagine the only way to commucate for emergencies would be to get a CB radio. Just some questions like how do I use the thing? Do I really need it? What is everyones opinion on the Midland 75-822 I would be hooking up an exteral antenna for the record. Whats everyones opinion on CB radios? I am going to be on the road for about 3 hours going from San Antonio to North Padre Island close to Corpus Christi. Any other useful advice would help thanks!
You can not count on a CB for emergency communications, so don't buy it for that. If your friends will each have one, and you are not too proficient with hand signals, at a distance, then it will be useful. Other wise don't bother.

Phil
Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just want to communicate between 3-4 vehicles, a few two-ways work pretty good. If you're ever going to be in a large group (20+ jeeps) it's nice to have a CB. Not related specifically to this, but some 4x4 clubs require all vehicles in their party on group runs to have a CB -- point is it never hurts to have one.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:52 AM
JK Freak

As stated above, if you're going to off-road regularly then have on installed as many clubs require them. It's always good to have and you may one day regret not having one handy.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I drive a tri-axle dump truck for a living and the CB is important piece of equipment for help in getting around job sites and whatnot. I have a Uniden PC78 Elite in my normal truck and when that truck is down I have the Midland 75-822 you mention for it's quick temporary use set up ease. It's a decent radio, the most important part of any CB is the antenna and Midland makes a magnetic mount antenna made for the Midland 75-822 that works with it well. The problem with the magnetic mount for a Jeep is our roof isn't metal and the antenna really needs to be on the roof for good reception in all directions. Still, for close by trail communications mounting on the hood shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I've always had one in my personal vehicles. I like being able to hear road conditions down the road. CB's aren't as popular as they once were but I still like having one. Sometimes listening can be pretty amusing.

I use a Cobra 75 in my Jeep. I wrote about my set up here (with photos): posts 336 & 337 https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...9/#post3688731 A decent CB set-up can be had for less than $125, considering the costs of most mods we can do it's a fairly cheap addition to your ride.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

My only reservation about CB is I'm a licensed HAM. The claim that CB is some how inadequate for emergency communication is silly to me. With a properly installed and tuned system you can expect to have reliable communication in open places like you would expect offroading. Most commercial communication is higher frequency (smaller wavelength) and offers a little more penetration or less likelihood of 'bouncing' but the trick is getting something and become familiar with it. Considering the time you're talking about a handheld is probably what you want and the advice I would give is either have an externally mounted antenna or keep the top off your Jeep (a handheld has difficulty going through solid things like steel and glass). Only other thing I have to say is: why wasn't I invited? We went to San Luis Pass beach (South end of Galveston) yesterday and had a great time! We passed up all sorts of cars and trucks stuck in the sand. We would have helped them but it looked like they were doing a great job with so many people trying to help them out (I may be wrong but it seemed getting stuck was part of their intended experience). Most of the Jeeps would pass through the deep ruts left by those stuck and pulled out without a single Jeep stuck that I saw the whole time we were there! Alternatively a pair of GMRS/FRS handheld radios (the kind you can buy virtually anywhere) would work slightly better from inside the vehicle as long as you don't get over too many hills from each other. I hope this helps, PM me if you need more help.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
My only reservation about CB is I'm a licensed HAM. The claim that CB is some how inadequate for emergency communication is silly to me. With a properly installed and tuned system you can expect to have reliable communication in open places like you would expect offroading. Most commercial communication is higher frequency (smaller wavelength) and offers a little more penetration or less likelihood of 'bouncing' but the trick is getting something and become familiar with it. Considering the time you're talking about a handheld is probably what you want and the advice I would give is either have an externally mounted antenna or keep the top off your Jeep (a handheld has difficulty going through solid things like steel and glass). Only other thing I have to say is: why wasn't I invited? We went to San Luis Pass beach (South end of Galveston) yesterday and had a great time! We passed up all sorts of cars and trucks stuck in the sand. We would have helped them but it looked like they were doing a great job with so many people trying to help them out (I may be wrong but it seemed getting stuck was part of their intended experience). Most of the Jeeps would pass through the deep ruts left by those stuck and pulled out without a single Jeep stuck that I saw the whole time we were there! Alternatively a pair of GMRS/FRS handheld radios (the kind you can buy virtually anywhere) would work slightly better from inside the vehicle as long as you don't get over too many hills from each other. I hope this helps, PM me if you need more help.
thanks for the advice I'll keep everything everyone said in mind!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

It is a cheap piece of equipment that could never hurt. I use mine on the trails regularly and on the interstate it is kind of fun to listen to the truckers (and call out smokeys) . The offroad parks I wheel at also have a designated "emergency" channel that the check-in counter always monitors. I used to communicate via walkie-talkies with my group until we all got tired of trying to find our radios after they had bounced out of the seat or off the dash. I purchased a Cobra 29 LX and am very happy with my purchase.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If everyone in the group has one, it could be a great asset, although I do prefer the various amateur radio options.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

I have that very CB installed with external antenna. It works well on the trail and for the price a good piece of equipment to have. You can check out my thread about it here "best portable handheld cb" just had it in the trail today worked like a charm...

Quick Reply: CB Questions: Do I really need one?