Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM RADIO - A 4x4 Introduction For My Little Man

Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Just looked up the FT-817ND. That is a sweet little rig. Just a question, why that one instead of something with more transmit power? I see it has 5 W max transmit.
The main reason for choosing that one was the size and the fact that it covers all bands, even the new 60m US band. It sits easily in the Jeep and can be removed and carried. I have a few friends that have this rig and despite the 5 watts (which I believe can be boosted to 10w), together with a Wonderwand Widebander antenna the distance they are able to work is incredible.

On both sides of the rear of the JK, in the corners, I've manufactured what I now call Dual Lock shelves. They are simply brackets, made from some Ikea leftovers, that sit diagonally across each corner and utilise one of the hard-top screws at the one end. The other end on the one below is bolted to the window inertia bracket. They're incredibly solid and with a 3M Dual Lock covering on each side I can mount stuff on top or hang it from underneath. Below is the shelf I just installed today in prep for the FT-817-ND. A strip of Dual Lock on the underside of the rig will attach it firmly to the top side of the shelf and allow it to be quickly removed at will. I love this Dual Lock. It's tremendously strong and versatile and leaves everything very neat and tidy.

Last edited by UKCRD; 04-18-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great. Once I get my station up we should set up a QSO. Haha. See if we can even hear each other.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

That looks great. Once I get my station up we should set up a QSO. Haha. See if we can even hear each other.
Sounds good to me!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Climbing trees today! Antenna hanging!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Climbing trees today! Antenna hanging!
LOL! I'll stick to the whip for now.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, great setup. That SWL receiver looks really "sweet". And the custom rear bench is first class. That will surely inspire the little one. I have fond memories of my first SWL rig, seems like yesterday but, cough, it was some number of decades ago.

I have that same speaker for my FTM350 - sounds great.
Click image for larger version

Name:	img0035.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	546847
Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Wow, great setup. That SWL receiver looks really "sweet". And the custom rear bench is first class. That will surely inspire the little one. I have fond memories of my first SWL rig, seems like yesterday but, cough, it was some number of decades ago.

I have that same speaker for my FTM350 - sounds great.
Attachment 546847
Cheers Shawn! That's an interesting place to mount the iPad. How have you mounted it?

BTW, just bookmarked your web page. Looks very interesting and will read up later.

Last edited by UKCRD; 04-19-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a Nexus 7 that snaps into a mount. The mount is affixed to an ARR bar using RAM products. It's nice because it doesn't obstruct the forward view at all yet it is in plain view. The RAM devices allow it to easily fold up flat when not in use. I don't keep the Nexus in there too often, so usually the mount is just folded up and empty.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
It's a Nexus 7 that snaps into a mount. The mount is affixed to an ARR bar using RAM products. It's nice because it doesn't obstruct the forward view at all yet it is in plain view. The RAM devices allow it to easily fold up flat when not in use. I don't keep the Nexus in there too often, so usually the mount is just folded up and empty.
Ahh. I thought it was a RAM Mount. I use several in mine, too. Love them!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UKCRD
LOL! I'll stick to the whip for now.
Success today. Hung up my G5RV (102 feet long) and made contacts with North Dakota, Michigan and Hamilton, Ontario. Not bad with 100 Watts from British Columbia!

Quick Reply: HAM RADIO - A 4x4 Introduction For My Little Man