Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Technical Advice Needed Regarding the mounting of a flag to a firestick antenna...

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Advice Needed Regarding the mounting of a flag to a firestick antenna...

Hello

I'm looking to add a small nylon flag that has two metal grommets for attaching the flag.

My plan was to use a zip tie through each grommet hole...

Will this have any negative effect to my CB's antenna performance?

Also, I've been thinking about going with a 6' firestick, I have a 4' firestick currently.

Matthew
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

It will likely have a more minor impact on the beam pattern that you'd likely never notice. Adjust for optimal SWR after mounting. Keep an eye on the antenna for physical damage from the waving flag rubbing the radiating element (coiled around outside of many antennas).
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag created by the wind continually loosened my Firestik from the stud and caused stress on the threads which basically chewed them up. Turned into a giant mess and had to replace the antenna and the stud. Not trying to poop on your idea but it happened to me and didn't even consider that it would be a problem. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by conifers4
Drag created by the wind continually loosened my Firestik from the stud and caused stress on the threads which basically chewed them up. Turned into a giant mess and had to replace the antenna and the stud. Not trying to poop on your idea but it happened to me and didn't even consider that it would be a problem. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the first hand input!

How long was it up there before you spotted the damage?

I have the quick disconnect...

The firestick folks did have a fiberglass mast that was actually designed for flags, does anyone happen to know if that fits the same socket as the antenna?

Thanks guys for the input!

Matthew
Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Believe or not Matthew I flew an American flag for a Holiday weekend (I don't recall which one), but anyway it was only on for a few days. I do remember doing some highway driving though. My antenna always seemed to become loose and couldn't figure out why until I removed it and noticed the threads. I still didn't realize the cause until I stumbled on a thread somewhere on the exact same problem....it hit me then.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Believe or not Matthew I flew an American flag for a Holiday weekend (I don't recall which one), but anyway it was only on for a few days. ...
How big of a flag? OP said "small ... flag", so I was thinking inches, not feet. Would be surprised if such a small flag caused much damage in a couple days. I flew a small flag on my Karmann Ghia decades ago and the only issue I had was the flag fraying pretty quickly.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Junkie

Believe or not Matthew I flew an American flag for a Holiday weekend (I don't recall which one), but anyway it was only on for a few days. I do remember doing some highway driving though. My antenna always seemed to become loose and couldn't figure out why until I removed it and noticed the threads. I still didn't realize the cause until I stumbled on a thread somewhere on the exact same problem....it hit me then.
I am wondering if the spring that firestik sells might solve that problem...

how big was the flag and how did you secure it to the antenna?

matthew
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

When Paragon was still open I used to mount the trail flag on my. 4' fire stick, snapped off on highway one day when I forgot to remove it got the ride home
Old 03-17-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by orngkrate
When Paragon was still open I used to mount the trail flag on my. 4' fire stick, snapped off on highway one day when I forgot to remove it got the ride home
I assume the drag from the flag was just too much?

Firestik makes a fiberglass pole just for flags...

It screws into the same attachment as the antenna
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
How big of a flag? OP said "small ... flag", so I was thinking inches, not feet. Would be surprised if such a small flag caused much damage in a couple days. I flew a small flag on my Karmann Ghia decades ago and the only issue I had was the flag fraying pretty quickly.
Small flag Mark, I think it was a 12"x18" or maybe a bit smaller. It was attached with zip ties, yes the flag frayed a bit too which I had expected. It was just for the holiday weekend. (I would not fly a shredded flag)

Quick Reply: Technical Advice Needed Regarding the mounting of a flag to a firestick antenna...