Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Wiring a CB Radio??? Please Help!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring a CB Radio??? Please Help!!!

So I just got my CB Radio. YAY!!! I've searched this forum up and down but can't find a thread on wiring the cb.

So my question where did you all wire your cb radio?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RED_RUBI_07
So I just got my CB Radio. YAY!!! I've searched this forum up and down but can't find a thread on wiring the cb.

So my question where did you all wire your cb radio?
hey i would run the wires (pos + neg) through firewall on passenger side directly to the battery. never done it but seen it on alot of posts on here. there is a foam area that u run it through, then seal it back up with expanding foam( home depot). the only thing is it will be constant feed so dont leave cb on after ignition off or u will kill batt. i like peoples mounting ontop above rear view but when i get mine i am getting the mounting kit to put it on side of console. try a search for cb or look in cb forum. hope i helped. happy jeepin!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a good link with a step by step instruction for wiring. I havent used it yet. I am still waiting for mine to get here. Could it be any slower.................

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...nd-model-1001z
Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There is a panel below the power outlets. Pull off that panel and reach up behind the power outlets until you find a blue and pink wire. Be careful--there's another similarly colored wire (I think it's more light brown than pink, but it may look pink on the blue and in dim light of a garage). Anyway, that blue and pink wire is ignition-switched 12 volts. Use a T-tap there and run that to the positive input voltage/fuse on your CB (probably a red wire). Run the black wire from your radio to a convenient ground. Now your CB will work just like your vehicle sound system (stays on a few seconds after running motor, turns off with door open, etc).

Safety edit: You should disconnect the battery before doing this work.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-24-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the help. I found a cheap way to hook up my cb and i can take it out when not in use(on trail). It costs me $3.44 12 volt power plug for my accessory outlet. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't want there cb permanently installed.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RED_RUBI_07
thanks for the help. I found a cheap way to hook up my cb and i can take it out when not in use(on trail). It costs me $3.44 12 volt power plug for my accessory outlet. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't want there cb permanently installed.
Go ahead and try it, but normally those are not a good place to get power from for a radio......
Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

the install called for the cb to be hardwired into a 12 volt fuse and grounded. you get the same 12 volts from the accessory plug and its grounded. It will work for now.

my future plans would include hard wiring it to the 12 volt fuse and running the wires through my firewall to a female plug and a male plug on the cb. I just don't want the cb permanently installed. I want to be able to take it out to avoid theft. the last thing i want to do is waalk out to my JEEP to see that someone has stolen my cb and say to myself "It's a JEEP thing".

Last edited by RED_RUBI_07; 07-25-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

I mounted on the dash and really like the location. Its functionable compared to lookin down near the passenger seat while driving and it looks pretty cool when done. (I'll re-route it to my cage when I get one.)

As for the wiring, just carefully pry off the plastic cover that sits flush with the passenger door. Once it's off, tape your red wire to a hanger and push it through the foam...it comes out by the battery. Ground the black wire to the bolt just under the foam and put the plastic back on. It's simple and takes no more than 15 min. It took me longer to hide the wire running to the antena than it did to wire up and I'm not an electronics kind of guy at all.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There is a panel below the power outlets. Pull off that panel and reach up behind the power outlets until you find a blue and pink wire. Be careful--there's another similarly colored wire (I think it's more light brown than pink, but it may look pink on the blue and in dim light of a garage). Anyway, that blue and pink wire is ignition-switched 12 volts. Use a T-tap there and run that to the positive input voltage/fuse on your CB (probably a red wire). Run the black wire from your radio to a convenient ground. Now your CB will work just like your vehicle sound system (stays on a few seconds after running motor, turns off with door open, etc).

Safety edit: You should disconnect the battery before doing this work.
thanks a bunch for this! i just installed like this and it worked like a charm!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just received my Cobra 75 and have spent the last two days researching the passenger side firewall method as well as the switched cig. lighter method. I think the firewall method is going to be easier. I may even put an LED rocker switch on the dash to give me a visible reminder that the CB is powered up so I don't accidentally drain my battery down.

Quick Reply: Wiring a CB Radio??? Please Help!!!