Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

4 D2s and one switch

Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 D2s and one switch

I'm an electrical novice so please keep it simple, thanks. I currently have a pair of D2 driving lights on my bumper, 10 amp plasmaglow switch in the cab. I just purchased a pair of D2 hyperspots for the a-pillars. I'd like for all 4 lights to work off one switch. Is it possible to just splice the two harnesses together just prior to the switch without any problems? The total wattage of the 4 lights is 110, total amps is 7.9, 18ga. wiring. Am I going to get off this easy or what? Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMbone
I'm an electrical novice so please keep it simple, thanks. I currently have a pair of D2 driving lights on my bumper, 10 amp plasmaglow switch in the cab. I just purchased a pair of D2 hyperspots for the a-pillars. I'd like for all 4 lights to work off one switch. Is it possible to just splice the two harnesses together just prior to the switch without any problems? The total wattage of the 4 lights is 110, total amps is 7.9, 18ga. wiring. Am I going to get off this easy or what? Thanks
No. For 8 amps you should be using 12 gauge. Here's a calculator.

Wire Size Calculator

Are you against relays? It would be fairly easy to wire up a relay triggered off the old lights that would turn on the new lights SAFELY. It wouldn't be much more work than what you want to do. I could draw you a schematic if you need one.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
No. For 8 amps you should be using 12 gauge. Here's a calculator.

Wire Size Calculator

Are you against relays? It would be fairly easy to wire up a relay triggered off the old lights that would turn on the new lights SAFELY. It wouldn't be much more work than what you want to do. I could draw you a schematic if you need one.
Thanks for the help. I'd like to use the existing wiring harnesses which both have inline fuses and relays. Is there some way to just add another relay to the wiring to make it work? Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the help. I'd like to use the existing wiring harnesses which both have inline fuses and relays. Is there some way to just add another relay to the wiring to make it work? Thanks again.
Yes. Just tap one of the existing lights power wire to the control circuit of the new relay that came with the new lights instead of using the new switch. Like so...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SPST Relay Trigger New Lights Off Old.jpg
Views:	1737
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	599073  

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-28-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Yes. Just tap one of the existing lights power wire to the control circuit of the new relay that came with the new lights instead of using the new switch. Like so...

Looks simple enough, hope it works. Thanks again
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Looks simple enough, hope it works. Thanks again
You're welcome. You should be able to tap the old power wire or the wire coming from the old switch if that's easier for the control circuit since it runs on milliamps. Post up your results so I don't have to wonder.

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-28-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

If the wire coming from the old switch is easier to get to then you could also just tap that and feed the new relay control circuit. Like this...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SPST Relay Trigger New Lights Off Old Switch.jpg
Views:	7184
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	599082  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

If the wire coming from the old switch is easier to get to then you could also just tap that and feed the new relay control circuit. Like this...

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 4 D2s and one switch