Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Audio issue - Mids/Highs cut out when giving Jeep more skinny pedal

Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio issue - Mids/Highs cut out when giving Jeep more skinny pedal

Jeepers,

So I recently had a shop install a full custom audio setup in my JK X. It got a new head unit, components in front + tweeters, components in the sound bar, and 2 subwoofers mounted under each front seat. Powering the Fronts is a 480w 2 Channel amp. Rear is powered by the same model 480w 2 channel amp. The subwoofers are ran by a 2 channel 1200w amp.

The clarity of the system and the power is so nice - until I start driving. At first I thought it was only when making right turns but now have realized it happens when I give the jeep sudden increase in throttle. I know the Jeep is drive by wire so I am not certain why the signal cuts out. My Jeep is a bare bones X so no premium sound stock, meaning no stock amp - no steering wheel controls.

I am very electrically and mechanically inclined; I build and fix gas stations for a living and was an HVAC tech prior. So I am kicking myself for not taking on more of the project. The only aspect of this system I could not do was fabricating the subwoofer boxes under the front seats. The shop I chose to do the install is an old friend who has produced many custom audio creations and I was willing to give him a shot and allow a pro to take care of it all as I do not have a garage to take my entire jeep apart.

He states he used a harness to maintain the can-bus and is leaning more toward an amp issue as he claims his installation cannot be the culprit. I know we can easily swap a 4 channel amp to power the front and rear to troubleshoot the theory. I am at a point where I am tired of leaving my Jeep in other peoples hands and wanted to get some consideration from the community and the Audiophiles here on what you think can be the culprit or for any further tips on trouble-shooting.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the deck settings, an old deck I had had a function where you can set the volume to auto adjust to it's environment.
The three choices were high, low or off..
Augi
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by augichef
Check the deck settings, an old deck I had had a function where you can set the volume to auto adjust to it's environment. The three choices were high, low or off.. Augi
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't believe it is the deck. I had a JVC double din in there at first, the mids and highs would cut out and I was not happy with the lack of sound control that outdated unit had. We swapped in a new Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, and while I am very happy with the head unit, we still experience the mids and highs cutting out...
Old 08-03-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Bump.... Anybody else have insight to share?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an MECP certified installer for Best Buy.

Mids and highs powered off one amp and cut out?

Do the subs continue to play?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may not be fulling understanding the issue. Is audio cutting out? Or is the quality just dropping off when you accelerate?

Lmk.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Ok. So you have separate front, rear, and sub amps. So are ALL THE MIDS AND HIGHS CUTTING OUT

If so, it isn't an "amp issue". Both amps couldn't have the same exact symptoms. Not at exactly the same time. It sounds like a loose RCA connection, or a pinched RCA if they are both displaying symptoms that are the same, at the same time. Does the HU have separate front, rear,sub outputs?

And what exactly is "cutting out" according to your definition? Is it an intermittent open circuit? Mild distortion? Happen at all volume levels? Just throwing a very generic description of a problem doesn't sound like you really know much about audio. No offense. I have stupid explanations for symptoms when my AC acts up at my house. I Need a LOT more information and descriptions of the audio during this problem. It has nothing to do with your Jeep. It's just the "trigger" for the problem. It does sound like an issue with wiring though. Bad/loose ground? Bad/loose positive at the amp and or fuse and or battery? Loose remote wire? Take it back. Even pros have a bad day. Trust me. I've been a MECP master tech for as long as MECP has been around and installing high end audio for 28 years.

Last edited by Collyn; 08-03-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bfrench7
I'm an MECP certified installer for Best Buy. Mids and highs powered off one amp and cut out? Do the subs continue to play?
Thanks for chiming in.

The mids and highs were powered off 1 2 channel amp previously - with that setup the mids and highs cut out completely when giving the Jeep gas.

When I replaced the deck I wanted to add another amp to separate the front/rear mids and highs on different channels. So now mids and highs are on 2 different amps but the behavior is still the same.

With both configurations the subwoofers never missed a beat.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Thanks for chiming in. The mids and highs were powered off 1 2 channel amp previously - with that setup the mids and highs cut out completely when giving the Jeep gas. When I replaced the deck I wanted to add another amp to separate the front/rear mids and highs on different channels. So now mids and highs are on 2 different amps but the behavior is still the same. With both configurations the subwoofers never missed a beat.
Bad RCA cables. Or grounds.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bfrench7
I may not be fulling understanding the issue. Is audio cutting out? Or is the quality just dropping off when you accelerate? Lmk.
Sorry to be long winded in the description.

Mids and highs completely lose audio. It's not a sound quality issue, the audio signal to mids and highs cuts out for 3-5 seconds when suddenly accelerating. IE from a complete stop at a light and initial throttle.

Quick Reply: Audio issue - Mids/Highs cut out when giving Jeep more skinny pedal