Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

A/C blower cuts in and out??

Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C blower cuts in and out??

Anybody had this problem? My blower will just shut off when you have it turned on. I tried searching and couldnt find any posts on this. Im thinking its the control panel, but not sure.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen one time, while driving. Turned the control off then back on. Still no blower. Pulled over and shut the JK off. tried to pull a code but none showed up. Re-started the JK and all normal. That was about a year ago, and has not happened again.
Sorry that's all I have.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

some times that happens when it out of ac gas, it will cut in and out
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

If its under warranty take it in. Motors will cut in/out when they are going bad. here are a few causes. Loose connection in the fan circuit. Fan is acutally running but the compressor kicks in/out so you have cool then warm then cool. That could be a failed fan on the condensor/radiator so it is kicking in/out. It could also be caused by low freon due to a leak, or the clutch in the compressor is giving you problems.

Try and identify if the fan is actually cutting in n out or it just feels like it.

Then try different speeds for the fan, like putting in on MAX if it stays on then try a lower setting until the problem returns. In that case either the fan motor is weak at low speeds, dry bearings, weak windings, etc. or you have a bad fan switch.

Hope this leads you somewhere.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah unfortunatly it is out of warranty. I am a tech for bmw and when this happens on our cars it is usually the blower resistor or blower, but i called over to jeep and they dont stock either part. I would figure this has to be common and they would stock a part to fix it. Im kinda leaning toward the control panel. The blower shuts off completely, doesnt work on any speed and then it will just kick on and off randomly, it will go weeks with out acting up and then this week it has acted up every day. Low refrigerant wont cause the fan to shut off, it would just start blowing warm air.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Was there any resoulution to this problem? Mine has been doing this for about 6 months now. The blower fan will just cut in and out and sometimes just off completely and not turn on no matter what the fan speed is set to. Once I shut the jeep off it will work fine for a few days or weeks. I'm thinking it's either the resistor or control panel. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

My 2008 just started this. I ended up having it replaced a the dealer. Picking it up today. That's three trips since new - battery went bad, fuel sending unit and not the blower. Hopefully I am done shaking out the glitches.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What did they replace for the problem, just the blower motor itself or the resistor or control panel. Thanks

Last edited by BHawks4Life; 10-03-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well i put a new blower motor, resistor and control panel in and still am having problems, thinking maybe ignition switch because sometimes you can turn the jeep off and back on and it will start working again!! Luckily all three parts only cost me $70!!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to have a new blower motor. It would also make at ticking noise. Mine would quit for no reason and was unreliable. I haven't had a problem since it was changed.

Quick Reply: A/C blower cuts in and out??