Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Clutch Bypass Relay Wiring

Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Bypass Relay Wiring

Will be installing a Viper 5902 alarm on my 2010 Unlimited 6 speed and just want to confirm my wiring for the clutch bypass. I'm looking to achieve two things:

1. Bypass the clutch momentarily to allow the remote start to work.

2. Maintain the clutch interlock functionality so as to retain the ability to use cruise control and maintain the clutch safety features when the remote start isn't used..

I will be using the yellow/orange signal wire which goes to ground once the clutch is depressed, allowing the starter relay to activate.. Using a Bosch 5 pin relay here's what I came up with:

Cut the yellow/orange signal wire between the clutch and starter relay and wire it as follows:

Pin 30: y/o signal wire from the starter relay
Pin 87A: y/o signal wire from the clutch
Pin 86: Negative trigger from the remote starter
Pin 85: 12v constant
Pin 87: wire to chassis ground

It should work as follows:

When at rest, Pins 30 and 87A will be connected and thus the signal wire from clutch to starter relay will operate normally.

When the relay is momentarily energized (by the alarm starter module), pins 30 (y/o from starter) and 87 (Gnd) will be connected and the starter relay should activate as it is being fooled into thinking the clutch is depressed (goes to ground).

Is this correct or is my electrical fu weak?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by ChrisLe; 12-26-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nobody?

I'm no electrical genius and would appreciate the 411 on whether my wiring will work as planned...
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChrisLe
Nobody?

I'm no electrical genius and would appreciate the 411 on whether my wiring will work as planned...
I'd like to know also, for the same reason. I'd love a remote start.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not having a chance to test your theory, or how the Wrangler clutch operates electrically, you may be able to skip the relay and just use the ground output wire (blue from the rs) and that output should suffice.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't go about bypassing anything safety related. Find a remote start kit for a standard. I used to have one in the pickup I had before I got my JK. It was designed to work in a standard and it worked well.

If you bypass the clutch something like this will happen sooner or later.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/f...stomers-musta/
Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

I've been an installer for years and I have only done a few clutch bypasses. Reason, nothing ever is good about doing them. I did one on my 01 TJ and my wife drove it. She dropped it off at the bay and it was parked in front of a small hill. I was coming out of the store after close and thought" what smells like burning rubber". It was winter and I had remote started it in gear cause she left it that way and it burnt through the ice and wore a grove in the concrete. Not to mention ruined my tire.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 5902 has a provision to be installed in a manual transmission vehicle. The user has to go through a series of steps in order to get out of the vehicle and leave it in reservation mode. And the OP just wants to bypass the clutch momentarily to simulate pushing in the clutch to start it. I don't see anything wrong with putting a remote start in a manual transmission vehicle if installed properly.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blancolex300
The 5902 has a provision to be installed in a manual transmission vehicle. The user has to go through a series of steps in order to get out of the vehicle and leave it in reservation mode. And the OP just wants to bypass the clutch momentarily to simulate pushing in the clutch to start it. I don't see anything wrong with putting a remote start in a manual transmission vehicle if installed properly.
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with putting a remote start unit in a manual provided it is done correctly, you use a remote start designed for one and none of the safety features inherent to the 5902 are bypassed. I've had remote starts in all my manual vehicles (never owned an auto) for well over two decades, and never once have I had an accident.

I may be the exception as I am the only one that ever drives my vehicle, and in the rare exception when somebody else is I disable the remote start feature via a hidden toggle switch before allowing anybody behind the wheel. Its all about paying attention to detail..

Last edited by ChrisLe; 12-28-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Super old thread but wondering if that wiring was right for the clutch bypass. Will be attempting this on my 2010 soon.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:36 PM
RMY
JK Newbie

Default reviving old thread

So I tapped into the yellow/red wire for the clutch relay, attached a momentary switch. Works like a champ, however about every other time I use it, I get a check engine light and a P0835 code for the clutch safety switch. Wondering why it's not every time I use it. Why am I getting the code if the original wiring is still intact? Any ideas?

2016 JKUR

Quick Reply: Clutch Bypass Relay Wiring