Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

dash brake light on

Old 07-07-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dash brake light on

brake light (emergency brake light indicator on the dash) comes on when ebrake is not engaged and does not flash just stays on.
what does that mean

here is the situ
started JK this a.m. after a w/e of wheeling it was parked in 4 low with ebrake on
release ebrake and drive it 2 meters forward, brake back on in gear on hill.
wash the jeep, start jeep release brake handle turn jeep around do other side and i hear a ding and the light is on, i confirm that my ebrake is indeed off and it is.
park jeep in gear in 4 low and ebrake on wash rest of jeep
after washing I start jeep remove from 4 low and release parking brake move vehicle and light is still on drive around the yard in 2 hi and after a minute of driving it just goes out.

no more issues
this has happened once before when i parked in 4low ebrake on start vehicle and move it in low range and goes away later

any ideas if you understand what i'm saying, or experienced it.

thanks for reading
Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

I'm not sure where the sensor is, My guess is it's in the handle assembly. I also don't know if it calculates handle position or cable position. A lot of I don't knows, but it sounds like the cable/brakes are not releasing freely and take a minute to pull back into the neutral position.

Try engaging the parking brakes, then releasing them and go under and check to see if you can move the brake lever, on the inside of the rear rotor where the cable attaches, back to the resting position by hand. If you can, then maybe you just need to clean inside and lube things.

If the cable and brakes seem to be working OK, I would take it to the dealer and have them check the position sensor.

Last edited by RotorHead; 07-07-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the break fluid level low?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MightyMax
Is the break fluid level low?
ya checked that prior
it is good

i think it might be something to do with what RotorHead said
if not then perhaps it has something to do with ebrake on in 4 low in 1st gear over night

that is when it happens
Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

if it were me i would take it straight to the dealership! WingsFan just posted that his brake light came on and it was a faulty brake component. can't remember off-hand what the problem was, but it was covered by Jeep.
look under Great Lakes region for a thread named "Line-X" started by WingsFan.
good luck
Old 05-14-2016, 04:12 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one from 2008.

I'm basically having the same problem. I'll release the parking brake and the dash/brake light goes out. Then, after a few, the light will come on (then it will usually go off again). It's not the contact at the base of the brake lever (tore the console apart and checked). I've also adjusted the parking brake, with the same results. The light will eventually go off, and typically stay off for longer drives. I don't have any wiring diagrams for this particular circuit, but I'm guessing the path is through the computer anyway, so it's probably not worth tracing.

Anybody have any hints? Rig is a 2010 Rubicon.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine just went in for this problem last week. I have a 2013 and it ended up being low on fluid. I had just upgraded to the Mopar big brake kit and they told me the sensor is really sensitive. Filled up the fluid and light went off. Hope that helps!
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger392
Mine just went in for this problem last week. I have a 2013 and it ended up being low on fluid. I had just upgraded to the Mopar big brake kit and they told me the sensor is really sensitive. Filled up the fluid and light went off. Hope that helps!
is anyone worried about why your fluid was low?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
is anyone worried about why your fluid was low?
Didn't top it off after bleeding the new, bigger calipers?
Old 05-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger392
The fluid level appeared to be above the minimum arrow, but I added a little anyway. Will take it out tomorrow and see if there's any difference.

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: dash brake light on