Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Easy Switched Power Source

Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by IZZY_173_ABRN
Yes the tap is my switched power and not my power source. I currently have my tap in a constant hot and I have no issues. But I would prefer to have switched power.
Like I said, if the fuse tap is getting delayed accessory power, all the other things on the accessory circuit will also be getting delayed power. Same goes for the fuse tap in the slots M8 and M9, which get power when the key is in RUN. All the stuff that should come on in RUN would also get the delay.

So, my question is, do you see anything else getting delayed power?

If yes, that needs to be troubleshot as a separate issue.

If no, the fuse tap connection has to be the culprit.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I can tell nothing else seems to be delayed. I have since replaces the fuse tap, and currently no fix to the situation. I am now looking at my realy, bc my tap is switching my relay, so possible my relay is not activating or powering me fuse block. Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO far this is working with my 2012 JK when i turn over the key. It had a 20 AMP in there but i took it out and but in this fuse tap with a 10 AMP. Now my question is and its probably stupid but where would my 3rd power outlet be if i had one?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

My work computer is not allowing me to edit my post so ill add another one with the addtion of my last one.

SO far this is working with my 2012 JK when i turn over the key. It had a 20 AMP in there but i took it out and but in this fuse tap with a 10 AMP. Now my question is and its probably stupid but where would my 3rd power outlet be if i had one?

My owners manual says where i put the fuse tap is for power outlet #2 BATT/ACC select. So is this the 3rd power outlet you are referring too or is this one of the 2 that are located on my front panel and storage compartment between my seats?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Power outlet #2 is the one in the right rear of the cargo compartment.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Power outlet #2 is the one in the right rear of the cargo compartment.
Yeah i havent even checked to see if i even have one but i doubt i do. I would not use it anyways so ill leave the fuse tap there as its working now.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

For those with the 2012 and do not need the M7 Power outlet #2 BATT/ACC fuse there is where i put my fuse tap into. The power outlet #2 is for the rear power outlet or known as the 3rd power outlet. My JK does not have one so i do not know why there is even a Fuse inside that slot. So far seems to be working well. It had a 20 amp in there but with the fuse tap i put in a 10 AMP as my bully dog programmer suggested to use a 10 or 15 AMP fuse. I also included how i ran the wire and where it came out of the fuse box so i can hide the wires as much as possible. I ran it behind the wiring on the backside of the engine bay so you can not even see it. I am going to go out and find a rubber grommet to put around the wire to help keep dirt, water, and whatever else out but have the ease of taking it out so i can take it to the dealership for warranty work.

Pics of fuse tap in the slot. * * * is the 3 holes that you can use to put a fuse in and i did mine like OP did and used the *[*][*] holes to put the fuse in. Far right closest to the driver side.

Wiring leaving the Fuse box.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Yeah i havent even checked to see if i even have one but i doubt i do. I would not use it anyways so ill leave the fuse tap there as its working now.
As far as I know only Sahara and Rubicon models have the rear cargo power outlet. Sport models do not.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the M7 spot there is a 20 amp fuse, will putting a fuse tap with a 10 amp fuse blow the fuse or cause any problems? Sorry about the late post, I was referred to this thread.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Crimsoncole
In the M7 spot there is a 20 amp fuse, will putting a fuse tap with a 10 amp fuse blow the fuse or cause any problems? Sorry about the late post, I was referred to this thread.
The 10 amp fuse will blow only if more than 10 amps tries to go through it. (From too big a load, or a short between the fuse and the load.)

Quick Reply: Easy Switched Power Source