Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help wiring new 10" LED Light Bar

Old 03-18-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wiring new 10" LED Light Bar

I picked up one of the knockoff rigid 10" light bars off of ebay and I'm trying to figure out how to wire the dam thing up.

It only has 2 wires coming out of it, a blue and a brown.

I'll be wiring it into my OTRATTW switch. I'm guessing I need a fuse and a relay in there somewhere? My google skills have failed me in finding a nice drawn up diagram on how other people have wired this thing. Help!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattfl
I picked up one of the knockoff rigid 10" light bars off of ebay and I'm trying to figure out how to wire the dam thing up.

It only has 2 wires coming out of it, a blue and a brown.

I'll be wiring it into my OTRATTW switch. I'm guessing I need a fuse and a relay in there somewhere? My google skills have failed me in finding a nice drawn up diagram on how other people have wired this thing. Help!
First thing is to use a 9-volt battery to verify the polarity of the lights. LEDs will not work if you switch polarity. Different schools of thought on the relay. That size LED probably only pulls 2 or 3 amps so you don't have to use a relay, but do use a fuse.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

------- Help!
Ok. We need a little more information.

1) Is the switch installed? Or is this a totally new instalation?
2) Look at the fixture or the box and see what the Amp or Watt rateing of the fixture is.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ok. We need a little more information.

1) Is the switch installed? Or is this a totally new instalation?
2) Look at the fixture or the box and see what the Amp or Watt rateing of the fixture is.
The switch is already installed and is already hooked up and patched into my head light switch so when I turn the lights on the top part of the switch lights up.

according to the spec sheet

20 x 3w LED
3.1A Amp Draw 12V
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The switch is already installed and is already hooked up and patched into my head light switch so when I turn the lights on the top part of the switch lights up.

according to the spec sheet

20 x 3w LED
3.1A Amp Draw 12V
Ok. Cool. You will need to decide where you want to pick up a power supply. If you already have picked up control power for other switches ( powering relays ), you may be able to use that. If you have to pick up a new power source, I would recommend getting it from the fuse box. Here is a posting from a friend on how to do this part of your project.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/

Pick up the supplies you need from your local automotive shop:
#16 awg wire ( get a rough measurement on how much to buy, always buy a little more than you think ).
Fuse Tap
4 amp or 5 amp fuse to fit fuse tap.
#16 awg insulated butt splice wire fittings ( about 6 or so )
#16 awg female spade wire fittings ( about 6 or so ) used to connect wires to the switch.
Wire loom
Wire ties
Electrical Tape

Install the fuse tap per Ron's post.
Using a "butt splice", splice on a wire to the tap.
Run this wire to the switch.
Using a "female spade connector", connect the wire to the common side of the switch.
Using a second "Female spade connector", connect a new wire to the secondary side of the switch.
Run this new wire to the light bar.
Temporaraily connect this wire to one of the wires connected to the light bar.
Temporaraily connect the second wire from the light bar to ground.
Install the fuse and test the light.
If the light doesn't work, reverse the temporary connections and try again ( one way should work ).
Make all the connections permanent.
Cover the wires with loom.
Wrap a piece of tape around the loom in different spots to secure the wire inside.
Tye the loom in place.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help!

Got it mounted and all wired up!

I'll take some pics with all 3 sets of my lights tonight. Regular headlights, rigids on the a pillar and the ebay rigidlike 10" bar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	888883_10152687500825195_21239214_o.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	435387  

Quick Reply: Help wiring new 10" LED Light Bar