Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hooking to battery

Old 04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking to battery

What's the best way to hook to multiple power lines, to the battery terminals.
A separate terminal board or directly to the positive side.
Thanks,
John
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hookup

depends how professional you want it to look, and how much power you expect to pull..

I would hook up a radio; lights; etc to a board;

stu-offroad has some real nice wiring jobs.

take your time and do it right; or do it over...

Hooking up a winch or amp requires direct terminal placement.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

It depends on what you are using it for. If you are just going to wire up some small draw (amperage) electronics like Cell Phones, Radar Detectors, etc... then just tap off of the feed to the accessory outlet. In that regard I actually set up a power distribution terminal strip with constant hot on one half of it and ignition hot on the other half. I have been meaning to do a write up about it. I installed the strip under the glove box so I could get to it really easily. The feed to these are already fused... so that helps too. There are a afew threads on here about running power right off the battery and where they ran the cable through the fire wall... do a search on that if you are looking for that info. WHATEVER YOU DO... FUSE IT!!! It would suck to start a fire in that brand new jeep!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually set up a power distribution terminal strip with constant hot on one half of it and ignition hot on the other half. I have been meaning to do a write up about it.
I would be really intrested in reading that. Sounds like a hel-ov-an-idea.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

i too would love to hear the answer... i was thinking of hard wiring (direct to the battery) an ac/dc inverter and mounting it in the trunk area opposite the subwoofer. would be really nice to to be able to plug some things in when tailgating at umd football games (go terps!) and camping.

i've read a few things about amperage, what guage wires to use, and how long to leave things plugged in when the engines off without draining the battery.

if anyone's done this or has suggestions, it'd help.

i'll write up a thread with pics if i go through with installing an inverter.

cheers
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my old jeep I ran a 4awg wire from the battery terminal to a fused AGU fuse block ( 3 - 4awg in... 4 - 8awg out) I ran 2 8awg out for amps and 2 10awg out for lights and stereo. I also ran smaller gauge wire for 12V accessories/relays coupled with a 10 gauge output wire. Other relays and l.e.d.'s I tapped off of 12V leads since they draw minimal current.

Best way for multiple devices or future electronic mods is to run a large gauge to a fused block and come off of that. You can get a block that supports glass fuses or blade type fuses. Blade type distribution blocks cost a little more and seem to be harder to find.
Also dont forget to fuse the wire coming from the battery (you can use ANL or MAXI or AGU fuses & holder) And fuse any extra smaller gauge wires sharing the same output on the block.

As far as coming through the firewall if you can't find a hole. Make one and use a grommet made for passing wires through it with a water tight seal.

You can use the existing battery terminal and put a wire on it with a ring terminal or get a new terminal that supports extra wires coming off of it.

Hope that helps somebody... if not, it kept me busy for a small time while typing it with one hand.

Last edited by kaffeene; 04-09-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found these:

http://www.streetwires.com/products/...oFuseBlock.cfm

Is that the kind of fuse block you are talking about?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didnt want to mess with tapping into everything myself so I bought a cirkit Boss from Painless wiring. It gives me 4 switched and 3 unswitched connections, it has nice long wire leads and all relays are included.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

This is what I did... I bought a terminal strip from Radio Shack for 5 bucks and wired the strip myself. Here are the pics:

I will create a topic on this.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billycj7
I didnt want to mess with tapping into everything myself so I bought a cirkit Boss from Painless wiring. It gives me 4 switched and 3 unswitched connections, it has nice long wire leads and all relays are included.
How was the install? was it a headache?

Quick Reply: Hooking to battery