Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed an RBZ Mygig in my 2012 JKU

Old 01-04-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse with this thread, have a few questions.... I have a 2010 sahara that came w a factory 430N... I sold it and upgraded to a pioneer Avic-Z.... After a year decided I really didn't like the pioneer so I traded w my buddy who has a 13' JKU with a 430 as well.... Plugged it all in, and I can't get Uconnect phone to work, hit the button and it says "uconnect phone not avail" also the Nav can't/won't pick up sat signal... I have HIS antenna we pulled but i just plugged the radio into my old antenna figuring it was the same.... Do the years make it different? Do I need to mic kit for it to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Twash53
Not to beat a dead horse with this thread, have a few questions.... I have a 2010 sahara that came w a factory 430N... I sold it and upgraded to a pioneer Avic-Z.... After a year decided I really didn't like the pioneer so I traded w my buddy who has a 13' JKU with a 430 as well.... Plugged it all in, and I can't get Uconnect phone to work, hit the button and it says "uconnect phone not avail" also the Nav can't/won't pick up sat signal... I have HIS antenna we pulled but i just plugged the radio into my old antenna figuring it was the same.... Do the years make it different? Do I need to mic kit for it to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks in advance!
Did you have the Uconnect to begin with? There is another box that would need to be plugged into the radio, so if you had it, you may just need to plug that in. Hopefully the installer that put the Pioneer in just stuffed the wires out of the way.
If you Jeep did not have Uconnect to begin with, you would need to install the kit, and then have the dealer turn it on in the computer.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danamr
Did you have the Uconnect to begin with? There is another box that would need to be plugged into the radio, so if you had it, you may just need to plug that in. Hopefully the installer that put the Pioneer in just stuffed the wires out of the way. If you Jeep did not have Uconnect to begin with, you would need to install the kit, and then have the dealer turn it on in the computer.
Yes it did have the Uconnect from the factory, and I was able to get the GPS and SAT radio up and running perfectly... The only thing left is the phone... I hit the phone button and it says no uconnect phone avail.... I've heard about getting a different mic and it will work? All plugs in the headunit are plugged in, and everything from the factory was left in tact when I hooked up my pioneer....
Old 01-07-2015, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you tried setting up your phone as a new device?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC

The 2011 and up had a different bus system which is why people with 11's and up couldn't get the REN from 2007-2010 to communicate with the new bus system.

Sounds like your having the same issue except backwards

Your trying to get a unit from a newer jk to communicate with the older set up

The u connect module is different for those years
Old 02-01-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

An Update if anyone is interested. I installed a RBZ in my 2012 JKU that did NOT have Uconnect to begin with. The headunit arrived before the Uconnect wiring harness so I plugged it in and voila, everything works as advertised minus the bluetooth. The uconnect harness came a few days later install was pretty simple and low and behold the bluetooth works, no vin flash was needed. The only issue I still have is the Headunit still says Chrysler 2 weeks later. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to change to Jeep?

thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyguytki
An Update if anyone is interested. I installed a RBZ in my 2012 JKU that did NOT have Uconnect to begin with. The headunit arrived before the Uconnect wiring harness so I plugged it in and voila, everything works as advertised minus the bluetooth. The uconnect harness came a few days later install was pretty simple and low and behold the bluetooth works, no vin flash was needed. The only issue I still have is the Headunit still says Chrysler 2 weeks later. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to change to Jeep?

thanks
If it still says Chrysler after a couple of ignition cycles, it is an older head unit and will not update itself. Some people have had luck convincing a dealer to associate the radio to their VIN, others have not. The image files for the other models are stored on the radio.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flyguytki

thanks
What was the uconnect wiring harness you are referring to here?? is it the $80 item that is just wires and a microphone or is it the $300 piece that also has a little box with it??

I have a 2014 with no connectivity package and was wanting to put an RBZ in as well, and also get the bluetooth to work.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Quick question - is there a way to add a USB port to the 430 RBZ if you do not have the Uconnect module? Not sure if any of the ports on the back could be used for that.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding Uconnect but the modules are almost as much as the 430.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bofa
Quick question - is there a way to add a USB port to the 430 RBZ if you do not have the Uconnect module? Not sure if any of the ports on the back could be used for that. I wouldn't be opposed to adding Uconnect but the modules are almost as much as the 430.
No not without Uconnect module. You are SOL. Buy it used on eBay or on this site if you can find one. I sold mine for $90.

Quick Reply: Installed an RBZ Mygig in my 2012 JKU