Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing Windshield Lights

Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Windshield Lights

I just ordered 2 7" pro comp slim lights and the Smittybilt brackets and was going to see if I could install them on the stock switch panel in my jeep or do I need the aftermarket daystar switch panel? What is the best way to do Windshield lights on a JK? And if you reply to this thread could you please post pics if you have them? Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm also in the process of installing my windshield lights on my 2009 JK. I inquired about using the factory switch with my dealer and other Jeep users. They all said the same thing. Don't.

The factory switch and wiring harness may not support your lights. If you do, your ECM may misread the power flux and give you issues.

It's best to use a separate switch. Along with my lights and windshield mounts, I purchased a Daystar Lower Dash Switch Panel and am purchasing custom rocker switches.

Besides that, you may find that you may want to install other goodies along with your lights. I'm adding:

1. KC Windshield Long Range Lights
2. Delta bumper fog lights
3. LED rock lights
4. ARB Onboard Air Compressor

That Daystar panel will come in VERY handy to keep all the switches in one place and the custom rocker switches will keep it looking clean and factory-ish.

Last edited by 2ndchance; 12-01-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya I like it to. I just don't know how much stuff I'll add in the future. I already have 2 pro comp 7 inch lights on my Smittybilt bumper and they are set up to my fog light switch. Do you think it would be a problem to hook all four lights up to that switch? Thanks again,

Stephen
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the Rugged Ridge windshield mount. It mounts to all 4 bolts so it's extra secure.

I happen to visit my local Desert Rat store and asked about mounting multiple lights onto one switch. Again, they said it was a bad idea, but you can do whatever you want.

Personally, my windshield lights are not going to be pointed forward. They'll be pointed at a slight angle so it illuminates my sides. My front fog lights will do a fine job illuminating the front. So, I will have them on separate switches.

Just for clarification: Did you say you've already successfully wired your front bumper lights to your factory switch on the turn signal yoke?

If so, I guess you could tap into the same place with the 2nd set of lights. I wonder how the ECM will handle them.

I'm surprised the ECM hasn't given you crap yet. I would think that your bumper lights are drawing more power than the factory fog lamps, and the ECM should be detecting a power drain and giving you a warning light on your dash panel.

This is the same issue that the ECM has when you change from a 4-prong tow harness to a 7-prong tow harness. ECM has to be reflashed to allow the code for the higher draw of a 7-prong tow harness, or the ECM goes monkey-ass crazy.

Luckily for me, I don't have the factory fog lamp harness or the yoke. I purchased the OEM bumper with fog lamps and hooks from a guy who did a bumper upgrade. So, my choice was obvious.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya I've had my Smittybilt bumper on since a month after we got the jeep and I haven't had one problem with my OCM. Nothing has come up on my dash or anything. I'm going to keep looking into more options and talk to some more people I know and see what happens. Thanks man you have been a big help.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

No prob. Have fun with it and post what you've learned. Maybe someone else may find it useful.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:36 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday: JK Windshield Lights Installation

Seems like a great topic for today's How-To article...

Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to Present How to Install Windshield Lights - Jk-Forum

Quick Reply: Installing Windshield Lights