Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Headlamp Problem (passenger side bright)

Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Headlamp Problem (passenger side bright)

I recently purchased a set a Quadratec LED headlights for my 2007 JK. These come with a small anti flicker harness between the headlamp and the factory connector.

Here's my issue, when installed they work great, low beams, high beams, etc. But when I hit the hit beams while the engine is running, the passenger light goes out completely after a moment of light - leaving just the drivers side light illuminating. If I reinstall, but don't start the engine, they seem to work fine.

I've checked all of the connectors, everything seems tight - I've even swapped the bulbs (and harness) and it's consistent to the passenger side.

My only other guess is that perhaps the factory connector on the passenger side is a little shot, and the slight vibration from the engine is enough to break contact?

Any suggestions?

- Mike
Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Update

The issue also occurred w/ the stock headlamp. I must have tugged a little too hard on the passenger plug trying to get it out, and something's loose - and by something I mean the bright light wire?

I guess I'll be ordering a new plug.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

The plot thickens....

Looking at the headlight harness plug, it looks something like this:

Code:
---------
[H][G][L]
---------
I get current through L on low, and H on high.... this leads me to believe the plug is just fine. But the fact that I can take the headlight and harness from the drivers side and have it exhibit the exact same behavior causes me to think the headlights are fine as well...

Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

I guess it is the plug, not I'm not getting current on H.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

it might not be just the connector. Might not even be the connector at all. I would remove the wire loom to expose the wire and probe the wire. Start where it connects right behind the connector to the lamp itself. If you have power then wire may be pulled from the pin in the connector. If you have nothing there keep going back until you find power in the wire. That will show where the actually damage is.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you ever figure this out? My 2007 is doing the same thing after putting in my JW Speaker lights. I'm thinking it's the anti-flicker, and I'm getting ready to buy a non AFM harness to try it out.
Any other 2007s have this issue?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikejr
Update

The issue also occurred w/ the stock headlamp. I must have tugged a little too hard on the passenger plug trying to get it out, and something's loose - and by something I mean the bright light wire?

I guess I'll be ordering a new plug.
I am having the same problem, shipped back harness and replaced it but that did not fix it. Mine will sometimes work while driving and sometimes not. Afraid it will be a computer problem because '07 and later electrical system is very computer oriented.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Because mine, like the others, would intermittently work, I figured it had to do with the capacitors in the anti flicker harness. So I ordered the cheaper trucklite non-anti-flicker harnesses.
And unsurprisingly, both headlights and both high beams worked. But of course, they flickered. So then I tried the AFM in the driver's side, and the regular harness on the passenger side.
And that's the fix. For some reason, keeping the module on the driver's side lets the high beam work on the passenger side, and it also doesn't flicker. Not sure if the passenger light is in series with the driver's or what, but it works for me. Maybe it will work for other jeeps as well.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Im having the same exact issue on my 2007 JK Unlimited. Quadratec Led Headlights and fogs and also their AFM. Passenger Hi doesn't work. If I turn the Jeep off and restart with the High beams on they work, if I dim while still running and try to turn hi back on passenger will not work. I have replaced the plug, fuse, swapped lights from side to side and tried to put old back in while not working and old will not even work. This has made me insane trouble shooting. I read an old post here that they took the passenger AFM out and just used one on the drivers side. I just ordered a straight adapter to try this. I hope this fixes it.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update??

Originally Posted by Flyboyn79
Im having the same exact issue on my 2007 JK Unlimited. Quadratec Led Headlights and fogs and also their AFM. Passenger Hi doesn't work. If I turn the Jeep off and restart with the High beams on they work, if I dim while still running and try to turn hi back on passenger will not work. I have replaced the plug, fuse, swapped lights from side to side and tried to put old back in while not working and old will not even work. This has made me insane trouble shooting. I read an old post here that they took the passenger AFM out and just used one on the drivers side. I just ordered a straight adapter to try this. I hope this fixes it.
How did it work out for you getting rid or the anti flicker harness on the passenger side but leaving it on the driver??

Quick Reply: LED Headlamp Problem (passenger side bright)