Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED light bar for inside mounting...?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED light bar for inside mounting...?

I want to add a LED light bar, but want it mounted inside of the windshield if possible, since I sometimes park overnight in "not so good" neighborhoods... It would be harder to steal, and also be more protected. Anyone seen or heard of this...?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google came up with this
911Lights.com - Interior Lightbars
Signal Vehicle Products Starburst Dash-mount Lightbar, 6" w/ 6-LED Array Unit, Suction-cup Front Mounts & Cigarette Plug DL156 | $5 Shipping Sitewide!
I have to admit had never even thought of anything inside the windshield ....that is something that someone should design albeit ..they would have to make it sit right against the windshield for glare reasons...maybe with a shock proof rubber lip that sits between the two.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it would be too hard to come up with, only problem I would have is seeing past it, as it is if I use my sun visor I can barely see the top of the hood...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

You have to figure out a way to seal the edges around the inside or the light will reflect back into your face and the cab.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were slim enough and not too deep .. it is something that could easily be designed....taking into consideration rake of glass and curvature...and as was pointed out, making sure there is a gasket type rubber between the light apparatus and windshield. Would be nice! There was a post of I think smittybuilt looking for suggestions on lights ...this would be right up their ally.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have done some measurements, and it will be no problem to design a single row light bar, or maybe two shorter ones, one for each side.
I might just do it myself, as I am developing computer accessories for s living, and I have people in China working for me.
I will check this out, and see what can be done.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Light visor

I would like to see a light bar disguised as an outside visor such as they had on cars in the 50s.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rico
If it were slim enough and not too deep .. it is something that could easily be designed....taking into consideration rake of glass and curvature...and as was pointed out, making sure there is a gasket type rubber between the light apparatus and windshield. Would be nice! There was a post of I think smittybuilt looking for suggestions on lights ...this would be right up their ally.
It was biltrite and I already sent off a message to Jason.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ever plan on spot welding the 8 torx bolts ( 4 on each side) that mount onto the A and B pillars where the light bar mounts? I plan on doing that eventually so if the thieves wanted the light bar, they would have to grind off the welds. It will take them longer to steal and most likely draw attention preventing them from removing the light bar. If you ever need to remove the light bar, you would have to grind them also but I think that its a good idea to prevent theft. Great way to preserve your investment.

Last edited by jk bobby; 11-28-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

put it outside the windshield and get creative with your bolts. use uncommon bolts or even some kind of locking bolts if you can find them. that way they can't be unbolted from the vehicle quickly. I am making a cover for my brackets that will cover the bolt completely and hopefully cause enough trouble that they won't bother with it.

Quick Reply: LED light bar for inside mounting...?