Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Looking to upgrade stock headlights

Old 09-13-2016, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade stock headlights

I'm looking to upgrade my stock headlights and would like some feedback form some people. I don't want to spend too much on this mod I've already spent so much on probably too many light bars that I only get to use when I want to blind my friends on the road or when I'm on the back roads, so I have been looking at the off brand (replica) JW speakers on Amazon. They have a lot of reviews but I would like to get some realistic non biased experience with them or others similar. Should I go the cheaper route and test these headlights out? Or look at a different brand? Amazon usually will accept all returns no matter what the excuse but i would rather not have to go through all that.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
I'm looking to upgrade my stock headlights and would like some feedback form some people. I don't want to spend too much on this mod I've already spent so much on probably too many light bars that I only get to use when I want to blind my friends on the road or when I'm on the back roads, so I have been looking at the off brand (replica) JW speakers on Amazon. They have a lot of reviews but I would like to get some realistic non biased experience with them or others similar. Should I go the cheaper route and test these headlights out? Or look at a different brand? Amazon usually will accept all returns no matter what the excuse but i would rather not have to go through all that.

I've had my rig for 3 years now and jumped straight to Truck-Lites for my lighting needs. Although TLs are a great replacement headlight there are also other great off-brand headlights like the one's you're seeing on Amazon. For the money you'll save on those Amazon lights compared to TL or JW Speaker, I'd say go for it and get it. My supervisor bought a set like the one's you're referring to (I installed it for him) and he has had zero problems and they're bright as hell.

Make the jump. You'll be instantly pleased when comparing them to your stock "candle-holder" headlights.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Too expensive for you but I went HID projectors. Almost anything will be better than stock. Just don't use HID bulbs in the stock housing.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another vote for Trucklites. i have them in the jeep and liked them so much i bought a set for my miata as well.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Truck-Lite. Great customer service along with a great quality product.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

I've been running retrofit HID projectors since 2012 and have no complaints. Much better output than stock, outshined TruckLites at that time, and look a helluva lot better, too. Lots of customization available in them. Check out HIDProjectors.com. Tom's a good dude and does great work!
Old 09-14-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same Question

I basically have the same question about headlights. I really want to upgrade mine since the stock ones are TERRIBLE. At night when the road is wet is the worst. I literally can't tell if they're on or not.

Anyway, I know NOTHING about lights or anything electrical. I can't spend a lot of money because I'm moving soon, and I've already spent too much on my Jeep this summer. I don't want anything fancy, I just simply want brighter headlights. I've looked on Amazon and other Jeep sites like Quadratec and I'm totally lost. Do I need to get the whole headlight or can I just buy some new bulbs? I'm also worried about the installation. Are there any plug and play options? Like I said, I know nothing about this stuff so I'm not going to attempt to splice wires and connect to the battery or whatever. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Also, what's the difference between LED and HID and whatever else? I heard LED is good but they seem to be pricey.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mandymarvelous
I basically have the same question about headlights. I really want to upgrade mine since the stock ones are TERRIBLE. At night when the road is wet is the worst. I literally can't tell if they're on or not.

Anyway, I know NOTHING about lights or anything electrical. I can't spend a lot of money because I'm moving soon, and I've already spent too much on my Jeep this summer. I don't want anything fancy, I just simply want brighter headlights. I've looked on Amazon and other Jeep sites like Quadratec and I'm totally lost. Do I need to get the whole headlight or can I just buy some new bulbs? I'm also worried about the installation. Are there any plug and play options? Like I said, I know nothing about this stuff so I'm not going to attempt to splice wires and connect to the battery or whatever. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Also, what's the difference between LED and HID and whatever else? I heard LED is good but they seem to be pricey.
There are options out there where you just replace the bulbs. You could always just grab a pair of Silverstar bulbs and they will provide marginally better light output, but not something night & day different (pun intended). If you want a HUGE difference....you'll have to either go with HID's or LED's.

HID's use a filament and electric arc surround by Bi-Xenon gas. They require very low power so they're extremely efficient. The only real downside to them is they take a few seconds to "warm up." They have a nice, clean cutoff line and offer several different color tempatures, with the best usually being between 4300k (OEM) and 6000k, which gives off a very cool (blue) white color.

LED's are basically just electric. Light Emitting Diode. Much less to them than either standard Halogen bulbs or HID's, but they provide great light output. Only marginally better than HIDs if at all, but they don't have the warm-up time. Turn them on and you have full brightness immediately. Again, very efficient, low power requirements, and very long-lasting.

Both of the latter two options can be considered plug and play, but there are some extra wiring connectors that have to be connected to convert from the standard setup. Nothing terribly difficult at all. HID headlight run off a ballast. So you have to conenct the ballast to the main lighting system and them connect the bulbs to the ballast. Not sure about the wiring for LED's, but I'd assume it's a little less complicated. Installation on either can usually be done in about an hour if you're working slowly and drinking a couple beers.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiBus
There are options out there where you just replace the bulbs. You could always just grab a pair of Silverstar bulbs and they will provide marginally better light output, but not something night & day different (pun intended). If you want a HUGE difference....you'll have to either go with HID's or LED's.

HID's use a filament and electric arc surround by Bi-Xenon gas. They require very low power so they're extremely efficient. The only real downside to them is they take a few seconds to "warm up." They have a nice, clean cutoff line and offer several different color tempatures, with the best usually being between 4300k (OEM) and 6000k, which gives off a very cool (blue) white color.

LED's are basically just electric. Light Emitting Diode. Much less to them than either standard Halogen bulbs or HID's, but they provide great light output. Only marginally better than HIDs if at all, but they don't have the warm-up time. Turn them on and you have full brightness immediately. Again, very efficient, low power requirements, and very long-lasting.

Both of the latter two options can be considered plug and play, but there are some extra wiring connectors that have to be connected to convert from the standard setup. Nothing terribly difficult at all. HID headlight run off a ballast. So you have to conenct the ballast to the main lighting system and them connect the bulbs to the ballast. Not sure about the wiring for LED's, but I'd assume it's a little less complicated. Installation on either can usually be done in about an hour if you're working slowly and drinking a couple beers.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much! very informative
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I would love to have some hid projector headlights they look awesome but the price tag is ugly but probably worth it. I'll have to look at some trucklite headlights looks like a lot of people have had great success with them. Thanaks for all of the replys!

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade stock headlights