Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR

Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings

I'm new to this forum and joined because of this thread! After reading what I typed, I realized I buried my question after lots of rambling so here it is -
When installing this unit, I removed the metal bracket at the rear of the stock radio. This is where the screw from the upper tray screws into. Are you guys not using this connection point for the dash or are you cutting up the metal bracket so the screw hole is still useable?
Now on to my ramble!
I have a 2014 Unlimited Sport with power doors and windows and the stock radio with uconnect, phone, but not touch screen. I also have an aftermarket amp and subwoofer (2 years old). My radio started cutting out when I was driving, usually at bumpy parts of the road (sirius, radio, cd, everything). I had someone diagnose it and they ruled out everything except the head unit. I got an estimate of $1100 to install a lot of what is mentioned in this thread, but figured I could save bucks doing it myself thanks to the internet!
Pioneer AVH-4200nex, Maestro RR, insane Maestro wire bundle, little doo-hicky so videos play when driving, and SiriusXM.
So far IT WORKS!!!
I quit working on it for the day before dealing with Sirius, so I'm actually not sure that part works yet.
I had issues with the antenna adapters I got, they just didn't fit my existing antenna connectors. The Sirius didn't fit until I took apart the stock connector and removed the plastic nipple sticking out of it, then it seemed to fit. I'll give an update tomorrow when I delve in to Sirius. I also tried doing this with the stock antenna, but could not get it to work. I bought this adapter from Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those of you having antenna issues, you're not alone. I'll try to get another adapter and see if that works.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Theo15
Now here's my question, will the "menu" button on my steering wheel still work with the factory dash to display things like system info (oil temp, oil life, trans temp, coolant temp, etc.), mpg, compass and temp, tire pressure, mph, Etc.
Can anyone answer this? I have the same question.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zimm17
Can anyone answer this? I have the same question.

Yes, the menu button on the steering wheel operates the little window beneath the jeep speedometer.

I flashed the default buttons on the Maestro and they are working fine. The only "error" I get is when I'm listening to Sirius and have Android Auto mapping open, the left rear buttons on the steering wheel, which change channels, won't change the Sirius channels. The right rear volume buttons work all the time and the left rear buttons change the channels when Sirius is on the screen, just not when it's multitasking.

Tim
Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks. I ordered up an AVIC8200 NEX and all items in the "shopping list" and it arrives today from crutchfield. Hoping for a smooth install.

Where did ya'll put the Bluetooth mic?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

The mic comes with a clip and I clipped mine to the front dash on backside near windshield in front of steering wheel.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

This is a great thread...I am also looking at purchasing the AVH-4200NEX w/ Maestro RR as I am replacing my 730 RHR because the touch screen is driving me crazy with phantom touches.

I am wondering how the display looks in the sun with the top down in regards to glare, and viewing ability.

I also wanted to know how the experience with Android Auto has been. If your phone is plugged in does Android Auto kill the phone's battery because the onboard USB ports don't supply enough power?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Also below is video that installs the AVH4200 with a backup camera, and right around the 9:40 mark they describe how the install the mic where the original one is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL1l...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 4100 and sun glare has not been an issue.

As far a battery, I found that on LONG trips it will actually provide a little charge. Cruising around town, it basically treads water, but doesn't seem to use more than the charger can provide.

Originally Posted by Dena Jeeper
This is a great thread...I am also looking at purchasing the AVH-4200NEX w/ Maestro RR as I am replacing my 730 RHR because the touch screen is driving me crazy with phantom touches.

I am wondering how the display looks in the sun with the top down in regards to glare, and viewing ability.

I also wanted to know how the experience with Android Auto has been. If your phone is plugged in does Android Auto kill the phone's battery because the onboard USB ports don't supply enough power?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Radio Antenna

I just got the "Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles" and it fits and works after removing the plastic connector from the jeep antenna cable. Amazon shows me an error on it's page for this adapter that it "Does not fit a Jeep Wrangler 2014". Amazon remembers my vehicle. Because of this, I originally got the "Car Radio Antenna Adapter Kit Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and Jeep 2002 & Up", which did not fit. I now have working HD Radio! I also used my wire "fish" to relocate my mico USB connector (USB 2) for my phone and Android Auto to under the bottom of the dash plastic near the center netting storage. Keeping my phone in the upper dash tray in the Arizona sun was already becoming a bad idea in March.Tim
Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is getting a little old but I need help. I just had Best Buy swap out my Pioneer Avic8000nex for the 8200nex. During the initial install of the 8000 I had them install the Idatalink maestro and CH1 harness. My 8200 has the gauge feature that I want to use but it's not working. The tech today updated the Idatalink online for the 8200. The TPMS, voltage, and door reminders are working on the 8200 just not the gauges. It also says that the obd2 is disconnected on the screen at the top. After speaking to an Idatalink tech he walked me through doing a reset on the maestro through the 8200, checking 8200 firmware, and verifying that the maestro was spliced into my obd2 port. All that checked out and was done but still no gauges. Does anyone have any other ideas? Could someone tell me which color wire splices into what pin on the obd2? (just in case the original tech spliced them backwards) The tech. said another option is a hard reset on the maestro itself but that involves pulling the dash off and radio out to get to it. I'm hoping the wires are just crossed.

Quick Reply: My Pioneer AVH-4200NEX with Maestro RR