Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help. Wiring LED Fog lights?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help. Wiring LED Fog lights?

Hey guys,
I have a smitty built XRC front bumper on my 14 Jeep JKU and my factory fog lights went with my stock bumper so now I have no fog lights.
I wanted to wire 4" Led 18W lights as my fog lights to the factory fog light switch.

Can I just run a relay to have them powered straight to the battery and get source from factory fog light switch. Will it give me any bulb out warnings? or flickering?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd wire them straight to the existing factory wiring and call it done. I have my factory fog lights wired through a relay so I can use them with my high beams. When I turn on my relay ( with an external switch ) I disconnect the fogs from the factory circuit ( simulating 2 burnt out lights ) and I don't get any codes or messages, even when I'm using my relay with the low beams. The headlights used a pulsed signal which causes flickering on LED headlights but the fogs use a steady 12 volts so that will not be an issue. I drive a 2015.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DKehler
I'd wire them straight to the existing factory wiring and call it done. I have my factory fog lights wired through a relay so I can use them with my high beams. When I turn on my relay ( with an external switch ) I disconnect the fogs from the factory circuit ( simulating 2 burnt out lights ) and I don't get any codes or messages, even when I'm using my relay with the low beams. The headlights used a pulsed signal which causes flickering on LED headlights but the fogs use a steady 12 volts so that will not be an issue. I drive a 2015.
Thanks man i'll try that!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say wire direct, do you mean cutting the connector and using those wires to power your new fog lights? I have a new bumper that bill be doing the same thing on. So I am curious if it is just as simple as red/red, black/black = complete.

Last edited by jaxhammer; 12-28-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Factory fog lights don't use red and black so you'll have to determine the polarity using a meter or an online source.

You will get a code stored in the computer but it will not change anything for your daily driving. The computer stores a code if you put in an aftermarket radio, LED headlights (even with the anti-flicker modules), or run your fog lights into an LED bar.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with the Vision X fog lights for mine. They are pricey, coming in at a little under $300...but they are direct plug and play, as well as a direct fit into any factory bumper. I installed them into my front AEV bumper over 2 years ago. They still work like a champ, and put out an amazing amount of light vs. the factory fog lights!

Vision X
Old 12-28-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Factory fog lights don't use red and black so you'll have to determine the polarity using a meter or an online source. You will get a code stored in the computer but it will not change anything for your daily driving. The computer stores a code if you put in an aftermarket radio, LED headlights (even with the anti-flicker modules), or run your fog lights into an LED bar.
My new bumper is similar to the Barricade Trail Force HD. It has 2 round LED's and 2 longer skinny oval LED's. Each light has red and black coming out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3400500927.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	632994

If I tied all red and all black and ran them to the appropriate wires on the jeep, could it be this simple? The LED's should come on with the fog light on switch on steering column.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaxhammer
When you say wire direct, do you mean cutting the connector and using those wires to power your new fog lights? I have a new bumper that bill be doing the same thing on. So I am curious if it is just as simple as red/red, black/black = complete.
One will be positive and the other negative.
I'll be using 4" led 18w lights for my fogs.
I bought connectors 2 x H16/5202/2504/PSX24W Bulb Male Connector For Fog Light Wiring Pigtail Harness
will wire it to these and then plug and play. So my factory harness is not cut/spliced
Old 12-28-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I got the project done tonight. I used a couple blue jumper connectors and wired directly into the stock wire harness so I wouldn't have to cut it. Special thanks to Rogue26 for all of his help.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaxhammer
Thanks! I got the project done tonight. I used a couple blue jumper connectors and wired directly into the stock wire harness so I wouldn't have to cut it. Special thanks to Rogue26 for all of his help.
Pictures!

Quick Reply: Need help. Wiring LED Fog lights?