Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pioneer NEX radios what's the right one?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer NEX radios what's the right one?

I am very heavily considering upgrading to a Pioneer NEX radio. I am considering the 4100, 7100 and 8100, what are the reasons to spend more the the 4100? Is there a better CarPlay radio out there?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdavi
I am very heavily considering upgrading to a Pioneer NEX radio. I am considering the 4100, 7100 and 8100, what are the reasons to spend more the the 4100? Is there a better CarPlay radio out there?
Boils down to wanting Nav native on the HU or pull it from your phone. Personally I don't use Nav a ton, but it works great from my iPhone. Android phones pull from Google maps. Other than that I think the 4100 has the advantage because the face is removable.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

4100 with removable face wins. CarPlay/ android car will let you use your phone to pipe nav right in. Unless you're a real tech person, the differences are minute (resistive va. Capacitive touch screen....etc)
Old 10-04-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.W.D.eLussey
4100 with removable face wins. CarPlay/ android car will let you use your phone to pipe nav right in. Unless you're a real tech person, the differences are minute (resistive va. Capacitive touch screen....etc)
This helps thanks. I am a bit of a techie but I don't think I care in this case.

Now my question is to both of you, I will be getting the controls to link in to my steering buttons and all, what USB cables or HDMI cables are need for a good install and what is over kill? Is there any options you ether wish you got right off the bat or are there any that now you think are a waste or not needed? What if any are must have or cool to do when you upgrade.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Boils down to wanting Nav native on the HU or pull it from your phone. Personally I don't use Nav a ton, but it works great from my iPhone. Android phones pull from Google maps. Other than that I think the 4100 has the advantage because the face is removable.
I will most likely use my phone for nav. I have the Tom Tom app for years now. Looks like the 4100 is for me. How good is the car play? Does it make hands free calling better then the stock radio?
Old 10-04-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

I will most likely use my phone for nav. I have the Tom Tom app for years now. Looks like the 4100 is for me. How good is the car play? Does it make hands free calling better then the stock radio?
Everything single thing is better than the stock radio: UI, Bluetooth, voice control, hand free calling, voice quality, CarPlay, auto EQ, time alignment, crossover control, bass management, Audio sound quality by 1000%.

Tomtom app won't work in CarPlay that I am aware of, it uses native Apple Maps with iPhone and google maps in Android.

I originally installed the HDMI cable and iPhone video adapter so I could run the AppRadio and video from my phone but it wasn't worth it. There really aren't any good apps and CarPlay works without the video cable.

You can re-use your Sirius/XM antenna, you'll need an install kit, a PAC or iDatalink interface. If you have the console USB, you'll need a USB to Mini-USB adapter from Amazon to connect it. Wire should be down behind the climate controls plugged into your UConnect Module - while you're there pull it out and sell it.

Last edited by Mattk11; 10-04-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tomtom app won't work in CarPlay that I am aware of
Can't you mirror your phone and just run the Tom Tom (or any App) that way?

I originally installed the HDMI cable and iPhone video adapter so I could run the AppRadio and video from my phone but it wasn't worth it. There really aren't any good apps and CarPlay works without the video cable.
I believe this is the mirror bit I just asked about right?

You can re-use your Sirius/XM antenna,
How? I thought you had to buy the Pioneer tuner (SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner)?

I probably will buy through Crutchfield:
  • Pioneer AVH-4100NEX
  • iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Factory integration Adapter
  • iDatalink Maestro SAT1
  • SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
  • iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module
  • Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
  • Metra 95-6511 Dash kit

If you have the console USB, you'll need a USB to Mini-USB adapter from Amazon to connect it. Wire should be down behind the climate controls plugged into your UConnect Module - while you're there pull it out and sell it.
How long of a wire is needed 3 foot, 6 foot longer? Male to male or Male to Female wire? So UConnect is no longer needed at all with this then?
Can you post a pic of how the radio looks in the dash? I am a little worried it will not look like it fits right. (with the dash kit and all)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Can't you mirror your phone and just run the Tom Tom (or any App) that way?

I believe this is the mirror bit I just asked about right?

It might work in mirror mode, you just can't use the touch screen, but someone else will have to confirm.

How? I thought you had to buy the Pioneer tuner (SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner)?

You do need the external tuner, but you can re-use the factory antenna.

I probably will buy through Crutchfield:
  • Pioneer AVH-4100NEX
  • iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Factory integration Adapter
  • iDatalink Maestro SAT1
  • SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
  • iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module
  • Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
  • Metra 95-6511 Dash kit

Look about right but Crutchfield will confirm for you.

How long of a wire is needed 3 foot, 6 foot longer? Male to male or Male to Female wire? So UConnect is no longer needed at all with this then?
Can you post a pic of how the radio looks in the dash? I am a little worried it will not look like it fits right. (with the dash kit and all)
You don't need uConnect anymore so you can sell that module for around $100. Its behind your climate controls - it where that mini USB plugs in. I think the my 4000NEX came with the extension cord I needed, but I don't remember. I don't have a pic of it in my dash but you can search google for "Pioneer 4100 NEX Jeep Wrangler" and there are a bunch of images. It looks great in the dash.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

I used the PAC RP4-CH11 instead of the Maestro, works very well, no issues. I also got the backup camera and the micro bypass for my 4100nex.

Oh and I have had my 4100nex for a couple of months now and absolutely love it

Last edited by Gbodybanks; 10-08-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gbodybanks
I used the PAC RP4-CH11 instead of the Maestro, works very well, no issues. I also got the backup camera and the micro bypass for my 4100nex. Oh and I have had my 4100nex for a couple of months now and absolutely love it
Glad to hear you like it after several months that is a good break in period. I have a whole 4 camera system so I would definitely connect it to the radio that was never a doubt. The micro bypass is to defeat the brake feature do you can watch videos or whatever as you drive. I can't see watching anything as I drive, are there any other benefits to it!

Quick Reply: Pioneer NEX radios what's the right one?