Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear Light bar legallity

Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Light bar legallity

Howdy fellow jeepers,

what is the LEGAL answer to if you can drive on public roads with a rear light bar on?

Now I know everyone will probably say its a simple "don't do it because it's illegal". But what is the reason behind it LEGALLY and also im not talking about a full on 52" light bar that produces some unGodly amount of wattage. Im talking aobut a light bar that produces the same amount of light as a pair of headlights. maybe a 18"-22" that produces the same wattage and candle power as a set of DOT legal headlights. Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vehicle light laws are state specific as far as I'm aware. Look up the DOT regulations for the state that you live in. There are usually brake light requirements as well as laws for auxiliary lighting (size, color, location, etc.)

Legal or not, I'm not sure I understand a light bar on the rear of the vehicle that puts out the same wattage or candle power as normal headlights. I would find that very bothersome if I pulled up behind someone that had that.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

For people behind you on a dark road, wouldn't it look like someone was driving towards them head on in the same lane? I don't really get it at all for on-road purposes.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

But...why? You aren't looking behind you, so why light it up?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

I guess I didnt explain it like I should have. By on road, i mean like in a parking lot or dark neighborhood or in places where back up cameras dont pick up enough light to show the proper picture. I know its overboard but I figured since headlights are a certain wattage, the reverse/back-up lights would have to follow the same regulation. My bad.

It doesnt have to be headlights or a large light bar. I just need to see back there when backing up on public roads which aren't considered "Off Road".

Also, my reverse lights are dumbed down because they are LEDs which required the harness that basically adds a load to the lights which in turn makes LEDs dimmer which defeats the purpose in LEDs. Thanks CANBUS.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

IDK the legality but 2 weeks ago when I was driving to work a flat bed truck left his rear LED work lights on (2 6in round lights) and it was blinding everyone, people were flashing and honking going around him. IDK if he was trying to keep an eye on his load but It was pretty distracting to everyone behind him.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Jeep had a Rear Roll Cage mounted 40 inch race light bar that was taken off. In replace of that I will be putting on the Rigid Industries flat mount reverse lights. They are basically rock lights that can easily be mounted to the body of the Jeep under the brake lights.

My experience from using those only come from my friends Jeeps. What I like about them is that since you can mount them lower they won't directly point in other drivers faces, and that since they are only small LED's the light output is great enough for you to see exactly where you are going.

Now I wouldn't say not to do a rear mounted Light Bar, because the more light off-road in the night the better! But just don't make that your primary reverse lights. Even if a police officer doesn't write you a ticket you will be distracting either other drivers or pedestrians around the vehicle.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a rear 20" led on my rack. I do use it parking at times when no one is around.

In regards to legality, I can say I failed a PA inspection in October for not having it covered.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Legality- it must have a DOT/ SAE code on it.

Realistically- if they're only wired to come on with your reverse lights then you'll only piss a few people off. I have some small LED's in the bumper because there were holes for them but they don't produce much light. They're a better "warning to other drivers" that I'm backing up.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I tried this with a soft-top. I made aluminum brackets bolted to my Expedition One rear carrier allowing the 46" Lightbar to swing away to access the trunk and raise/lower the soft top. If you have a hardtop, then mounting the lightbar will be simpler and more secure.

It's fun, and a sh*tload of lumens as a back-up light (toggle switch in the cab).

I soon removed it, after knocking my head each time I went to the trunk.

Quick Reply: Rear Light bar legallity