Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing the stock subwoofer

Old 09-26-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the stock subwoofer

Hi all,

I am looking into upgrading my audio in my 2013 JKUS. Ive got the alpine speakers already but I guess they are not the premium sound system as I have seen others that have the sub where the tool storage goes in the back. That may just be on newer models. Anyway, I need more clarity and punch. I dont want to kill the neighborhood with bass tones but I want to pound out some music while on the high way with the doors off.

I am competent on all of the mechanical and wiring aspects once pointed in the right direction. That being said...

Is it possible to replace the stock subwoofer and keep the existing enclosure? Does anyone know what size it is? I think it is a 10" but could just be an 8 with the looks of a 10. I would prefer not to crack it open until necessary.
I would like to keep the stock HU for functionality and run an amp in the back under the tool storage area. Do you think this might get too hot?

I am not going to run a hard hitter so i dont need caps or any other fancy business. Are there any wiring diagrams for the HU so I can splice the out signal into the amp, or is there a simpler way to accomplish this?

Any help is appreciative.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The factory woofer is a 8" and you can replace it keeping it in the factory enclosure. I did, but I was disappointed. Check out this thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/su...nt-921921.html

After not liking the sound I achieved with the sub swap I removed my factory sub and replaced it with th non-subwoofer trim to gain back the space since I wanted to build a cargo drawer system. Then I got a MattK11 under drivers seat 10" sub enclosure, 10" SD-3 Sundown Audio sub, Rockford Fosgate PBR-500x1 amp, RF wiring kit and remote along with an PAC SNI-35. Install took most of the day (today) and it turned out awesome!

Because the factory head unit doesn't control volume you don't wanna tap it at the source, you'll need to tap into the wiring post amplifier. The easiest place is to tap into the factory sub wiring that runs along the passengers side door with the SNI-35 to get RCA level outputs. Then hook up the amp and sub, all very straight forward. After wiring I set the gain with a multimeter and ensured my sub was wired appropriately at 1-ohm, both how to's found on youtube. This system is amazing.

You should also look into replacing your other speakers with infinities. If you keep the factory alpine speakers they won't do it justice when you install a real sub.

Last edited by JCDriller; 09-26-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I didn't get great results using the stock enclosure, I lined it with some thick sound deadening material but I didn't find it helped, it probably needs some kind of reinforcement. I ended up ditching the whole thing and getting an enclosure for 2 x 12s made, overkill but should do well with the roof / doors off.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JCDriller
The factory woofer is a 8" and you can replace it keeping it in the factory enclosure. I did, but I was disappointed. Check out this thread:

Subwoofer Mod (replacement) - Jeep Wrangler Forum

After not liking the sound I achieved with the sub swap I removed my factory sub and replaced it with th non-subwoofer trim to gain back the space since I wanted to build a cargo drawer system. Then I got a MattK11 under drivers seat 10" sub enclosure, 10" SD-3 Sundown Audio sub, Rockford Fosgate PBR-500x1 amp, RF wiring kit and remote along with an PAC SNI-35. Install took most of the day (today) and it turned out awesome!

Because the factory head unit doesn't control volume you don't wanna tap it at the source, you'll need to tap into the wiring post amplifier. The easiest place is to tap into the factory sub wiring that runs along the passengers side door with the SNI-35 to get RCA level outputs. Then hook up the amp and sub, all very straight forward. After wiring I set the gain with a multimeter and ensured my sub was wired appropriately at 1-ohm, both how to's found on youtube. This system is amazing.

You should also look into replacing your other speakers with infinities. If you keep the factory alpine speakers they won't do it justice when you install a real sub.
That looks pretty cool. Where does one go about purchasing the under seat enclosure?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Try adding some polyfill in the soundbar and behind the sub as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by d3v1c3
That looks pretty cool. Where does one go about purchasing the under seat enclosure?
Email MattK11 at krumwiede@cox.net He has a good following on here and wranglerforum.com. I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCDriller
Email MattK11 at krumwiede@cox.net He has a good following on here and wranglerforum.com. I couldn't be happier.
I second that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3500195898.jpg
Views:	2053
Size:	799.6 KB
ID:	625782  

Quick Reply: Replacing the stock subwoofer