Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Running The Trailer Harness

Old 04-21-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running The Trailer Harness

I have a 2016 JKU. I am currently running the trailer wire harness down from the left rear tail light housing thru the hole in the spongy stuff, then up under the rear bumper and through the door opening into the trunk area. The door closes on it but that is OK.

However, I see this other possibility. Inside the trunk area, on the left at the base of the roll bar, next to the window i see a panel with two tabs, one labelled graphically for the window washer and the other i cannot make out ...

I would like to remove this panel and investigate running the harness up thru it, similar to the window washer harness.

Then it will no longer be running under the Jeep and permanently thru the door. I can run thru the door only when actually towing. So has anyone here actually removed that tabbed panel? It looks easily removeable but it does not respond to moderate tugging, and i do not want to wreck it. Do i have access from there to the tail light housing?

Any help appreciated.

Mick
Old 04-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm confused. Why are you not mounting it next to the hitch receiver? There is a spot to the driver side of the receiver where the wiring clips into.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have the CURT receiver and wire harness. I do not see a specific spot where the wiring would clip into ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	644674Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	644675Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	644676

Does the factory receiver have what you are referring to?

I have seen on Amazon a "Curt 4-way flat mounting bracket". Is this what you are referring to? I should get one of these if I am going to run the cable under the vehicle in the usual way ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MountBracket.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	644679

I really like the idea of running the cable directly from the tail light housing into the trunk area where it can be neat and clean and immediately available on the rare occasions when I may need it, thus avoiding being subjected to rain, salt, snow, ice, dirt, road hazards, whatever.

Regardless, I still want to know about opening up that tabbed panel, for any reason, just because it is there. Has anyone a suggestion about that?

Mick
Old 04-22-2016, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes, you can run under one of those tabs. I think it's a bad idea to be shutting your tailgate on the wiring. Likely to cause a break in the wire. The plastic is held in with clips and some nuts (one on top and I think one on bottom and then some clips around the seat-belt area).

Yes, the OEM version of the hitch receiver has a spot for the trailer harness. Mine has been in that spot since 2011 and weathered Indiana/Missouri winters (where they salt the road) and has 105,000 miles on it with no issues and I tow often.

Yes, you could purchase the item you have in the picture and use that.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't want to pinch wires. Zip tie the connector to your hitch. If you leave it in the trunk area eventually you'll smash it with something and the tailgate will brake the wire.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

OK, thank you for all the comments, suggestions etc. Today I bought a bracket to install near the hitch that I can use for the connector. I'll attach that and run the thing "the same as everyone else"

Mick
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I guess I took the cheap way out and just clip the harness onto the safety loops. When towing, I just disconnect and hook up the trailer harness. Like 14sport said- I've got 130k miles on it without any issues. Keep the end of it covered and you're fine.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

So here it is ...

There is an extra foot or so of cable up in the tail light compartment.

Quick Reply: Running The Trailer Harness