Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

so here is an odd one...

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999

Well they say its just a compass... but I highly doubt its just a compass.
I understand how ya mean that, but you would think if there is a GPS in the dash, even on an X you would have the equivalent of an aux port to access it, but that would cost $ .87 and require common sense at the manufacturer level
Old 11-09-2014, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time you head out, before losing cell service, put your phone in airplane mode.
See if this still happens
Old 11-09-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jamesmtl
Next time you head out, before losing cell service, put your phone in airplane mode.
See if this still happens
I will do that, mind explaining what you are thinking?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds to me like your phone may somehow be interfering with the onboard computer.

By putting it in airplane mode you are disabling the communication of the phone. (You can always just turn it off)

If the system still acts up, you know the phone has nothing to do with the odd behavior.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
As the title says... So anytime I go out into the mountains or into the desert, basically anywhere my phone goes from 3/4G to 1X or no service my temp gauge on my cluster locks. I've done this and shown other people at least 30 times. Anyone else notice this or have an explanation? My JK is a X so no satellite or anything. Am I lojacked or something??
My understanding of the thermometer is it only reads above a certain speed (like 25 or 30 MPH). Below that speed the sensor would read body temp instead of air temp so they disable the sensor and the temp readout stays constant. I've seen this happen many times on my 2011.

Pretty sure the phone thing is a coincidence.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Freewill

My understanding of the thermometer is it only reads above a certain speed (like 25 or 30 MPH). Below that speed the sensor would read body temp instead of air temp so they disable the sensor and the temp readout stays constant. I've seen this happen many times on my 2011.

I'll have to test that too, I know I can go out in the morning and start up and it displays the right temp. There are plenty of times I drive 30+mph out in the desert or on some mountain roads.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freewill

X2 you have to be above 25ish for a set amount of time for it to read outside temp .
and your phone will screw with the compass ,but it has to be setting on top of it.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal

X2 you have to be above 25ish for a set amount of time for it to read outside temp .
and your phone will screw with the compass ,but it has to be setting on top of it.
Yeah never set my phone on the dash, plenty of better ways to lose and ruin phones than that. I'm pretty sure if I go start my jeep in the morning without moving it will show the exact temp though
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
Yeah never set my phone on the dash, plenty of better ways to lose and ruin phones than that. I'm pretty sure if I go start my jeep in the morning without moving it will show the exact temp though
I have the daystar dashtop ,holds the phone good ,
true the temp first thing reads right, but how long dose it take to change when you start to move ( windchill ) ,
mine takes about 3 min. just saying .
Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember reading about this awhile back. Length of time -> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...1/#post2353113

Quick Reply: so here is an odd one...