Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ambient air temperature reading is stuck

Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ambient air temperature reading is stuck

For the past few days my outside air temperature gauge on the panel hasn't changed. The air temperature outside is 80-90° but the reading on the gauge is stuck at 63°. Any ideas where to start the trouble shooting?

2010 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by yrubuggin
For the past few days my outside air temperature gauge on the panel hasn't changed. The air temperature outside is 80-90° but the reading on the gauge is stuck at 63°. Any ideas where to start the trouble shooting?

2010 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited

Thanks for your help.
Still under warranty?

If you have been driving the Jeep, it should have updated to the ambient temperature.

The only thing an owner can check is the resistance of the temperature sensor, and the wiring for damage.
With it removed, and at approx. 20° C (68°F), the sensor resistance should be between 9-11 Kilohms.
Other than that the problem can be in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus circuit, or the instrument cluster.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Still under warranty?

If you have been driving the Jeep, it should have updated to the ambient temperature.

The only thing an owner can check is the resistance of the temperature sensor, and the wiring for damage.
With it removed, and at approx. 20° C (68°F), the sensor resistance should be between 9-11 Kilohms.
Other than that the problem can be in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus circuit, or the instrument cluster.
Yep. Still under warranty, just thought if it was easy enough to start diagnosing I would save myself a day at the stealership. If it has readings in the CAN bus, could I pull it up on a Genysis?, or is it deeper than that?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do is after checking the wiring for damage, I would un mount it from the cross bar in front behind grille, and stick it so it runs outside the grille in the open, and drive it and see if it works...
Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well never mind for now guys. Haven't even touched it yet and it just started working again. Ill let you know if it happens again, and what was done to fix it. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

I dont remember exactly how this works so hopefully someone will chime in with exact info. But there is something about the speed you drive for a certain amount of time.

I know when I am running a trial up in the mountains the temp gets stuck until we are back out on the highway and moving at a faster speed.

Its something like, if you drive under 30mph for 10 minutes it locks, or something to that effect. Again hopefully someone will chime in with better info.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Vehicle with the key off for more than 4 hours...The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately.

Vehicle with key off for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours....The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately after vehicle reaches above 20 mph (with no duration constraint) and will update every 500 ms thereafter.

Vehicle with the key off for less than 2 hours...The CCN will display the last temperature reading (which is stored in memory) just prior to the ignition being turned off. The CCN will not update the value in the display until the car has been driven at 20 MPH or above for 3 consecutive minutes.

If the vehicles speed and drive time doesn't meet the criteria the CCN will
continue to display the stored value until the criteria is met.

Once the criteria is met, then the CCN will update the display every 500 ms based off of the ambient temperature sensor output.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Vehicle with the key off for more than 4 hours...The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately.

Vehicle with key off for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours....The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately after vehicle reaches above 20 mph (with no duration constraint) and will update every 500 ms thereafter.

Vehicle with the key off for less than 2 hours...The CCN will display the last temperature reading (which is stored in memory) just prior to the ignition being turned off. The CCN will not update the value in the display until the car has been driven at 20 MPH or above for 3 consecutive minutes.

Once the criteria is met, then the CCN will update the display every 500 ms based off of the ambient temperature sensor output.
Great info. Thank you for the research. I need you on my speed-dial
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

When I did my grille mod, I noticed that one of the wires were pinched, when they installed the grille at the factory. Not sure if this is your situations But had to wrap both wires with a little electrical tape, to ensure no grounding contact. This happened due one of the metal clips from the grille pinching the 2 wires. Figured I would post my personal expierence.

SLIM
Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but holy cow that clears up a lot of confusion. We were in Moab this last week and the temp. on the trail was always 51°, even when it wasn't! lol. Thanks for this info.

Quick Reply: Ambient air temperature reading is stuck