Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Source of power in rear of JK

Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Source of power in rear of JK

Anyone have an idea for a source for (ignition on) accessory power source near the rear of the JK. I am looking to power something with a very small draw only when the Jeep is running, dont feel like running a separate power source from the fuse box if I dont have to. Anyone have a nice source to tap in the rear of the JK?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights
Anyone have an idea for a source for (ignition on) accessory power source near the rear of the JK. I am looking to power something with a very small draw only when the Jeep is running, dont feel like running a separate power source from the fuse box if I dont have to. Anyone have a nice source to tap in the rear of the JK?
Aside from when the running lights are on, I have no clue. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to either run your power cable from the dash either through the rollbar pads or under the carpets if you still have them. I did some interior lighting, and I just tapped into the Cig lighter in the dash. I've had no problem with lack of power, and will be soon adding more lights for the back half of the jeep.

Good luck, man!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Fuel pump is the farthest thing toward the rear that gets constant power when the ignition is on.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dognights
Isn't there an accessory power outlet in the back of your Jeep? There should be if you have a factory sub in a 2011 or newer.

Even if you don't have a factory sub, there is a wiring harness where it should be in a 2011 or newer that you can tap into. Upper back corner in the back of the passenger side. Has a white molex connector.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

The outlet in the rear is constant 12v he wants something on with accessory only.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by desync0
The outlet in the rear is constant 12v he wants something on with accessory only.
The outlet in the rear is user-selectable between always hot, and hot only with the key in ACC/Run.

All you have to do is move fuse M7 to the other side of its slot.

The OP doesn't say what year his Jeep is, and it's not listed in his profile. So we don't know if he has the rear 12 outlet.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-11-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry my jeep is a JKU 2012. I will have to grab a test light and see if I can find that plug someone mentioned before. I dont have a power outlet or the sub in the back because I wanted the space without the sub in the way when I ordered it.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Learn something new everyday thanks Ron!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The outlet in the rear is user-selectable between always hot, and hot only with the key in ACC/Run.

All you have to do is move fuse M7 to the other side of its slot.

The OP doesn't say what year his Jeep is, and it's not listed in his profile. So we don't know if he has the rear 12 outlet.
Just to clarify...

So it is always hot, even with the key off?

So if a person were to hook up a backup camera to this outlet, you would move the fuse to the other side of M7 so it only is powered when you put the key in and turn it to ACC?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 04:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Just to clarify...

So it is always hot, even with the key off?

So if a person were to hook up a backup camera to this outlet, you would move the fuse to the other side of M7 so it only is powered when you put the key in and turn it to ACC?

Thanks
After moving the fuse, the rear 12v socket will be hot when the key is turned to ACC, and hot when the key is turned to RUN.

The following users liked this post:
TMJK (08-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Source of power in rear of JK