Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another Headlight Thread... Trucks lites, JW, IPF etc etc

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Headlight Thread... Trucks lites, JW, IPF etc etc

Hi everyone,

I've been away from the forum for a little while and I'm trying to catch up on the whole headlight discussion. So far I've gathered the popular choices are Truck lites and JW speakers. I've read nothing but good reviews expect for the dreaded flicker.

I am currently running IPF's, which I think are great except that the lenses are glass. I originally replaced one after 1 week of having them and now a year later it's been cracked again by a rock.

So I think at this point I'm going ahead with the truck lites with the TLG harness to stop the flicker.

My questions to you are how durable are the truck lites? Are they worth the money? Is there a better harness? If there is another headlight option you prefer, what are they?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trucklites rule. the flicker isn't as bad as people say. nothing is perfect regardless of how much money it cost. the X pattern is more annoying than the flicker and you get use to it pretty quickly. my opinion go trucklites
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Next Thursday I'm installing the 24v TruckLite on my JK with step up converters:

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...5019&langId=-1

I'm pretty sure they have the same casing and polycarbonate lens as the other TruckLite models, but I'm def a fan of something that was designed for military vehicles. At least in my mind I can think they could survive an IED. ... I prob wouldn't though.

Those and Rigid Duallys as fogs are pretty durable and tough.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

I've been running truck-lites since the fall. So far the only major complaint from me is that since they are LEDs they don't put out much heat (wasted energy) thus don't melt snow. During a couple storms it built up enough where the light output was completely useless. To be fair its not a design flaw just inherit of more efficient LED bulbs. Thankfully I've got a set of IPF driving lights mounted on my front bumper so not a huge problem for me; but I Lcould definitely see it being an issue in colder climates. But light output is far superior to stock and I think they look pretty awesome too so I'd definitely recommend them, but make sure you've got a pair of halogen driving lights for the winter or be prepared to pull over and wipe them off periodically when the weather gets ugly.

I've been in contact with TL about their own harness and supposedly its coming out at the beginning of April... will update if I hear anything more from them
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truck-Lite 7" Round LED Head Lamp - Special Pair has a pretty good deal going
Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I literally JUST got done ordering a set of JW speakers from discount fleet supply. Free shipping and found a 5% off code...under 700 bucks shipped. They have TL too.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Ebay has them for $200 each with free shipping

Last edited by Ryan0260; 03-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Got my trucklites from discount fleet supply for $419.85 with adapters. Tiny bit of flicker but its hardly noticeably.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trucklites with SHS harness ftw.

Personally i like the little v hot spots. makes aligning the lights super easy lol. just put the bottom tip of the V spot on the x's on the wall and wala done.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

I'm looking into rebel offroad hellfire.

Quick Reply: Another Headlight Thread... Trucks lites, JW, IPF etc etc