Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock battery dead after 2 years , mileage 38k

Old 09-22-2014, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock battery dead after 2 years , mileage 38k

2012 JKU rubicon

So usually before I leave in the morning to the gym I remote start it and then grab my gym bag and leave, but then this time a few minutes after I started it I noticed my jeep wasn't running, so I tried to start it and it was making a click sound and no ignition. My neighbor had to give me a jump. Drove about 40 minutes to drive around and charge my battery a bit then headed over to autozone and pick up a duralast platinum. Went back into my jeep and it wouldn't start again. Needed a jump again!

So new battery installed all is well.

Did my battery just die because it sucks? Only electrical I've done to it is replace my fog lights with rigid duallys on a OTRATTW SWITCH on a RR A pillar, and I doubt that was the problem. No lights were on last night. I hope my alternator isn't broken.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mos11b
2012 JKU rubicon

So usually before I leave in the morning to the gym I remote start it and then grab my gym bag and leave, but then this time a few minutes after I started it I noticed my jeep wasn't running, so I tried to start it and it was making a click sound and no ignition. My neighbor had to give me a jump. Drove about 40 minutes to drive around and charge my battery a bit then headed over to autozone and pick up a duralast platinum. Went back into my jeep and it wouldn't start again. Needed a jump again!

So new battery installed all is well.

Did my battery just die because it sucks? Only electrical I've done to it is replace my fog lights with rigid duallys on a OTRATTW SWITCH on a RR A pillar, and I doubt that was the problem. No lights were on last night. I hope my alternator isn't broken.

We used to run 100K on our fleet vehicles, now more but in my experience, 18 months was the lifespan of the factory batteries with our lights, radios, and frequent start cycles. type of use is the biggest contributor to the demise of the factory battery. Not knowing your driving habits, and battery load I'd say that the timing of your battery failure is not out of line for the age of the vehicle. Have batteries gone longer? Sure. Less time than yours? Yes there too.

BTW, what size tires and lift are you running. The Jeep looks good!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
We used to run 100K on our fleet vehicles, now more but in my experience, 18 months was the lifespan of the factory batteries with our lights, radios, and frequent start cycles. type of use is the biggest contributor to the demise of the factory battery. Not knowing your driving habits, and battery load I'd say that the timing of your battery failure is not out of line for the age of the vehicle. Have batteries gone longer? Sure. Less time than yours? Yes there too. BTW, what size tires and lift are you running. The Jeep looks good!
It's my daily driving vehicle commute to and from work 5 days a week 40 miles round trip and wheelin once a month. Thanks for the info. Let's see how long this duralast platinum lasts lol. Thank you for the info. Thanks for the compliment! AEV 3.5 lift on nitto trail grapplers 35's. I love my jeep, I'm planning to keep it forever. When the engine dies I'm going to throw a V8 hopefully that's not anytime soon lol "knock on wood"

Last edited by Mos11b; 09-22-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's my daily driving vehicle commute to and from work 5 days a week 40 miles round trip and wheelin once a month. Thanks for the info. Let's see how long this duralast platinum lasts lol. Thank you for the info.

Thanks for the compliment! AEV 3.5 lift on nitto trail grapplers 35's. I love my jeep, I'm planning to keep it forever. When the engine dies I'm go make throw a V8 hopefully that's not anytime soon lol "knock on wood"
I'll keep an eye out for your Jeep, I'm just a couple of zip codes to the west. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I'll keep an eye out for your Jeep, I'm just a couple of zip codes to the west. Good luck!
Thanks man! Same here!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some reassurance, if your alternator was malfunctioning, your jeep wouldn't have made it very far. So it's probably fine
Old 09-23-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... Did my battery just die because it sucks? ...
Yes, seen it several times now with the '12s. It is covered under your 3 year/36K mile warranty. No prorating.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 AM
-

If I had my choice.. it would have been the optima battery.. and at one time I could have swore Sears had it in stock.. but our battery died, I figured this was the perfect time to get that optima.. The jeep had to be jumped twice.. just to limp to the nearest shop.. Which happen to be sears.. but I wasn't to thrilled at going to sears.. but thats another story..
So I get to sears jump and and I want the optima battery in our jeep.. they tell me that they no longer carry the optima.. Grr.. so I had to settle for the Diehard.. So far we've not had any issues witht eh diehard and it was one of those batteries that was high on my list of alternatives.. Mind you we don't have any aux lighting or leave stuff plugged in overnight.. So it's unclear why the factory battery just up and died.. unless it was it's time.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
... so I had to settle for the Diehard...
The DieHard Platinum is an excellent battery. Sadly, the 100 month warranty is no more, but I managed to pick up two to replace Optimas in my dual-battery install just before it ended. :-)
Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
If I had my choice.. it would have been the optima battery.. and at one time I could have swore Sears had it in stock.. but our battery died, I figured this was the perfect time to get that optima.. The jeep had to be jumped twice.. just to limp to the nearest shop.. Which happen to be sears.. but I wasn't to thrilled at going to sears.. but thats another story..
So I get to sears jump and and I want the optima battery in our jeep.. they tell me that they no longer carry the optima.. Grr.. so I had to settle for the Diehard.. So far we've not had any issues witht eh diehard and it was one of those batteries that was high on my list of alternatives.. Mind you we don't have any aux lighting or leave stuff plugged in overnight.. So it's unclear why the factory battery just up and died.. unless it was it's time.
You are correct. Sears did carry the Optima but that was a time ago, and when it was made in Aurora Colorada. When Johnson Control took over the company and moved the facility to Mexico (but that's another story) Sears discontinued selling them. Since then Sears contracted EnerSys Corp, the same company that makes the Odyssey, to manufacture the Sears DieHard Platinum. It has the same specs as the Odyssey, at a lower price tag and better warranty. This is why many incorrectly state that the Sears DieHard Platinum is a re-baged Odyssey.
As to the OP's question of a stock battery only lasting 2 years/39K miles. That is pretty good. Our 2007 JKU purchased Oct 2006 battery lasted a bit over 2 years/26K. Although I've used 2 Optimas in my 94XJ from 96 to 08, I chose a Sears Diehard Platinum due to the move to Mexico on the Optima. Since the Platinum We've accumulated 6 years/34K, and leaving the lights on the JKU 3 times each for a peroid of 8 hours, it's still going.
I'll stick with the DieHard Platinum.

Quick Reply: Stock battery dead after 2 years , mileage 38k