Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tapping into reverse +lead?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping into reverse +lead?

As the title states what wire do connect to.

I'm installing an alpine double din radio and I need to attach the green wire from the h/u to the positve reverse lead. I'm assuming it ties into the back up lamp so when I connect the rearview camera, the camera will turn on when I'm in reverse. Anyone know the best place to tap in

Shaun h
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tapped mine in at the passenger side tail lamp.... but it sounds like my setup may be a bit different.. the camera itself has the trigger to turn on the reverse camera/monitor.

There is a wire behind the carpet in the passenger footwell that accomplishes the same task. Its here somewhere if you search hard enough for it.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I'm just assuming that wire is for the camera. The directions don't really specify. It just notes that it needs to be connected to the reverse lead. For all I know it's for the add on navi, which I will probably never buy anyways. I use my iPhone for navi.

My radio is the alpine ixa-w404 and the camera is the hce107d
Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awdspider
As the title states what wire do connect to.

I'm installing an alpine double din radio and I need to attach the green wire from the h/u to the positve reverse lead. I'm assuming it ties into the back up lamp so when I connect the rearview camera, the camera will turn on when I'm in reverse. Anyone know the best place to tap in
Shaun h
I have an IVA-W505/P1 with a backup camera. Alpine recommends that you wire the camera power lead to the backup light so it will power on the camera when you're in reverse and off all other times. The camera will burn out if it is left on all of the time. As racer83l suggested, the best place to tap into the backup light is on the passenger side. I don't recall the color of the wire, but there's only two that go to the backup bulb. The black one is ground (use the other one).

Another thing to note that when installing the head unit, you need to connect the backup trigger to the Reverse signal to get the unit to display the backup cam automatically. If you are using the PAC harness, there's a wire lead coming out of it that you would use for this. The head unit will have a wire coming out of it that is labeled reverse. Connect the two and the display will change to the camera input every time you shift into reverse.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess that's part of my problem. My camera doesn't have a power lead. Just a 20ft long cable that connects to the back of the radio.

I am using the PAC harness from crutchfield, it has the green reverse wire, but the headunit doesn't have one on the main harness. I do have another wire set that has a reverse wire labeled but the directions don't say what exactly it used for. Because based off the directions/and you guys I would connect the green reverse wire from the PAC to the other reverse wire? Where do I go from there?

Im a total noob to all the electrical stuff

Shaun h.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess that's part of my problem. My camera doesn't have a power lead. Just a 20ft long cable that connects to the back of the radio.

I am using the PAC harness from crutchfield, it has the green reverse wire, but the headunit doesn't have one on the main harness. I do have another wire set that has a reverse wire labeled but the directions don't say what exactly it used for. Because based off the directions/and you guys I would connect the green reverse wire from the PAC to the other reverse wire? Where do I go from there?

Im a total noob to all the electrical stuff

Shaun h.
The line that runs up to the front sends the composite video to the head unit. All cameras need power. What camera do you have? If it's the Alpine HCE-xxx there's an interface box that connects between the camera and the Head Unit. The box is the one that is powered and connects to the backup light.

edit. you connect the PAC reverse wire to the alpine reverse wire. The PAC unit sends a 12VDC down the line when the transmission is in reverse. The Alpine will see this and switch to the camera input.

Last edited by jkerr; 01-05-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool. Thanks

since your here and you know what your doing, can you explain to me how and where to connect the foot brake lead and the parking brake lead.

I will do the whole bypass toggle switch thing, I just don't really understand how to do it. So some insight would be nice.

Shaun h
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool. Thanks

since your here and you know what your doing, can you explain to me how and where to connect the foot brake lead and the parking brake lead.

I will do the whole bypass toggle switch thing, I just don't really understand how to do it. So some insight would be nice.

Shaun h
The PAC CHY4 or CHY2 harness has the outputs you need. The terminology is different between the PAC & Alpine, but it's pretty obvious when you get into it. It's a PITA to actually use the break interlock though. You have to put on the parking break every time you want to watch a DVD. After the DVD starts you can release the break and drive off.

I installed a PAC TR-7 Alpine Video Bypass so I don't have to do this. Search for TR-7 Alpine or Alpine video bypass on ebay and you will find dealers that sells them. They are about $30 shipped. If you use the TR7, you do not want to connect it to the PAC vehicle harness. You ONLY connect the TR7 to the Alpine head unit and it simulates putting on the break.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok let's see here, I have everything connected to what I know is right.

On the PAC unit I have following wires left over

purple/white- vss output
red/white - parking brake output(-)
orange/white- illumination out put. (not used right)

On the h/u I have

yell/black- foot brake
yell/blue - parking brake signal lead
white orange - monitor control
and 2 white/brown - 1 is remote in and the other is remote out

where do I go next

Shaun h
Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok let's see here, I have everything connected to what I know is right.

On the PAC unit I have following wires left over

purple/white- vss output
red/white - parking brake output(-)
orange/white- illumination out put. (not used right)

On the h/u I have

yell/black- foot brake
yell/blue - parking brake signal lead
white orange - monitor control
and 2 white/brown - 1 is remote in and the other is remote out

where do I go next

Shaun h
Vilot/White is VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). It is a GPS function. It is not used on most Alpine GPS systems.

Red/White (Parking Brake) connects to Alpine yellow/blue Parking Brake

Orange/White (Parking Light Output). It is not used in most alpine HU's. They have ambient light sensors and adjustable via the display.

The Alpine Yellow/Black Foot Brake lead connects to the brake peddle (White/Tan wire) or one of the brake lights. It should send 12VDC when the brake peddle is pressed.

The white orange - monitor control and
2 white/brown - 1 is remote in and the other is remote out
are used for secondary touch screen displays. You shouldn't need these unless you are installing a VPE-S431 (video switcher).

Last edited by jkerr; 01-05-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Tapping into reverse +lead?