Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Under Dash Lights

Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Dash Lights

Hey,

I've been doing a bit of investigation on under dash lights. I have a 2013 that comes with the lights stock but I don't like the colour and cannot change them since they are a sealed LED. I've replaced the rest of the interior lights with LEDs to the 6000k colour and would like to add LED strips under the dash and use the wiring for the existing lights. When I looked under the dash at the harness I noticed that beside each of the lights on either side of the jeep is a box that is labeled "LHD". What is this box and what does it do? The plug going into it has 4 wires I believe. 2 power the light and I'm assuming the other 2 power whatever the box does? Would I be ok the cut the 2 wires that feed the light to supply the LED strips, and leave the other 2 wires to plug into the connector?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	1599
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	399699

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	399700

Thanks
Brent
Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013Wrangler
Hey,

I've been doing a bit of investigation on under dash lights. I have a 2013 that comes with the lights stock but I don't like the colour and cannot change them since they are a sealed LED. I've replaced the rest of the interior lights with LEDs to the 6000k colour and would like to add LED strips under the dash and use the wiring for the existing lights. When I looked under the dash at the harness I noticed that beside each of the lights on either side of the jeep is a box that is labeled "LHD". What is this box and what does it do? The plug going into it has 4 wires I believe. 2 power the light and I'm assuming the other 2 power whatever the box does? Would I be ok the cut the 2 wires that feed the light to supply the LED strips, and leave the other 2 wires to plug into the connector?

Attachment 399699
Attachment 399700

Thanks
Brent
IDK what that box is. If your sure that you are tapping into lighting circuits, then I guess that it really does'nt matter where you tap in at. There is a thread floating around here somewhere that describes how to tap the wiring behind the A/C controls for this very same purpose. Be very careful around the control wiring though. You don't want to tap into a CanBuss circuit.

Just a suggestion. I used the prewired single LED bulbs on my center stack. Just drill the holes to the correct size so that the bulbs just fit. I just installed three under the ledge that overhangs the A/C controls. A little dab of silicone will hold them in. Then you have excillent indirect lighting that looks custom.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
IDK what that box is. If your sure that you are tapping into lighting circuits, then I guess that it really does'nt matter where you tap in at. There is a thread floating around here somewhere that describes how to tap the wiring behind the A/C controls for this very same purpose. Be very careful around the control wiring though. You don't want to tap into a CanBuss circuit.

Just a suggestion. I used the prewired single LED bulbs on my center stack. Just drill the holes to the correct size so that the bulbs just fit. I just installed three under the ledge that overhangs the A/C controls. A little dab of silicone will hold them in. Then you have excillent indirect lighting that looks custom.
Sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pics of this done?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pics of this done?
Sorry no pics. Except for the pain of dealing with the 22 awg wires on the individual LED's, everything came out great.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 has footwell lights? nice.
I'm about to start a project installing RGB l.e.d. tape with a controller to adjust the color. Probably going to just wire it to a switch, although I've been thinking about using a double throw switch to turn them on manually or wire them to come on when the interior light is on.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's real cool the new JK's come with this lighting. I wired up 12" bright white led strips under the dash in the foot wells. Tapped into Dome light to turn on and off.

Name:	P1010826.jpg
Views:	1743
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	403419Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010825.jpg
Views:	1674
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	403420
Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I think I'm definitely going to wire them to a double throw switch. On with accessory / Off / On with interior dome lights.
Which 12" lights did you use?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default This helps, but leaves more mystery...

Hey,

Attachment 399699
Attachment 399700

Thanks
Brent
I know this post is old, but found it after doing the same thing you did. Turns out they are also LEDs, but are not functioning... Watch my video I made below.

https://youtu.be/zB8jxRntEoA

Quick Reply: Under Dash Lights