Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What is "CANBUS" ?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is "CANBUS" ?

Is this the name of the computer system or the type of system it is?

What are the perils of adding aftermarket stereo equipment (new head unit and amp)
to a "CANBUS" system ?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a system type and a way systems talk to one another in your car, truck, jeep etc......
All the different systems can talk to one another without the need for the information going from them to the computer and back again. So sensors like fuel pressure, throttle position, abs can all talk to one another directly. This gives the system more speed and better results when looking for 'real time' information. I don't think the radio or speaker system is tied in with the CAN and has no input or output sensors or items I can think of. So I don't think you would have to worry about stereo mods in this case.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
I can see that in a F1 Racing car or maybe a Lambo.. does it have use in a Jeep ?? I am dumb on this one.. along with other things as well
LOL, actually ran into this a few times working with Daimler-Chrysler vehicles, it's been around for a while and I know the Euro's have been using it for some time in the Mercedes. Kinda thinking it is now trickling into Chrysler products......
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone more tecky may correct me if I am wrong. Canbuss is a type of communication system that is being used by the onboard computer system. It is a digitaly processed signal and is much more faster than the old analog type signals. This also enables the computer to process information faster and relay the information to the appropriate devices. Also, the wireing for digital systems is much less bulky than analog systems. Your OEM radio IS part of the canbuss system. And the computer knows every device that is supposed to be on the system. So if you remove it, I believe that the only difference that you will see is that the "turn off delay" will not function. And there will also be a fault code produced by the computer that will be seen when anyone plugs in a code reader to your jeep.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Controller–area network (CAN or CAN-bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer.

CAN is one of five protocols used in the OBD-II vehicle diagnostics standard. The OBD standard is mandatory for all cars and light trucks sold in the United States since 1996, and the EOBD standard, mandatory for all petrol vehicles sold in the European Union since 2001 and all diesel vehicles since 2004.[2]

CAN provides a safe communication channel to exchange up to 8 bytes between several network nodes. Additional network functionality like which node talks to which others, when to trigger transmit messages, how to transmit data longer than 8 byte - all of these functions are specified in so-called higher-layer protocols (in network terms, CAN is a layer 2 implementation - higher layers are implemented in software). Some of the more popular higher-layer CAN bus protocols are CANopen, DeviceNet and J1939.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomRescue
It's a system type and a way systems talk to one another in your car, truck, jeep etc......
All the different systems can talk to one another without the need for the information going from them to the computer and back again. So sensors like fuel pressure, throttle position, abs can all talk to one another directly. This gives the system more speed and better results when looking for 'real time' information. I don't think the radio or speaker system is tied in with the CAN and has no input or output sensors or items I can think of. So I don't think you would have to worry about stereo mods in this case.
YES! The Radio uses the CANbus as well! The speaker wires do not. But, the radio and amplifier both utilize the CANbus and will not operate with out it present.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
YES! The Radio uses the CANbus as well! The speaker wires do not. But, the radio and amplifier both utilize the CANbus and will not operate with out it present.
Really? I would not have thought that. Guess the only systems that I would think about would be the major ones, so how does one swap his radio/deck out without screwing this up? I would have thought the auto power off would be part of something different like linked in to another electrical circuit. Is there a schematic somewhere online that explains what is and what is not linked.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Crutchfield sells little boxes that get wired in between a new deck and the rest of the wiring. Had this same thing happen with a 2003 chevy. In the chevy however most of the chassis controls are run through the radio. Take it out and door chimes, sealt belt reminders and other things cease to work.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

This may be a silly question but I am trying to upgrade my interior lights to LED. Are the interior lights CANbus or non CANbus?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJKU
This may be a silly question but I am trying to upgrade my interior lights to LED. Are the interior lights CANbus or non CANbus?
Everything is. North ridge sells the light in a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich
The following users liked this post:
Sgtrx (05-28-2023)

Quick Reply: What is "CANBUS" ?