Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

'12 JKR on a budget

Old 02-15-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Good job so far. This reminds me a little bit of my build in the sense that you go out and use it, realize something needs to be address, address it......rinse, repeat. My jeep was essentially built over time the same way addressing issue by issue once I realized a deficiency. Glad to see your both using and enjoying your rig!
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM
C4T
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy New Year to Me!

Finally got all the Black Friday deals installed. I got impatient waiting for a headlight to go out and just replaced with a pair of JW Speaker 8700 Evo J2. They were only $50 more for the pair on sale compared to the J's, and they have the ability to leave low and high beams on simultaneously.
Before:
1.jpg
One Changed:
2.jpg
Both Changed:
3.jpg
One neat feature of these is that when you "flash" the high beams (pull lever in, instead of pushing it out) it actually leaves the fogs on as well as the low beams, which is handy when approaching an obstacle at night. This is such a step up that I no longer see a need for forward-facing auxiliary lighting, although over time I will add both underside rock lights and additional reverse lighting when I replace the rear bumper. On-road they surpassed expectations. I don't worry about deer sneaking out of peripheral vision, I can see road markings even in inclement weather, and vision is greatly improved overall.

I do wish I had taken this time to make horizontal adjustments by notching the screw with a rotary tool (or replacing the screw.) Now that the winch plate is blocking the grill in place, I don't know if it is feasible without removing everything. I haven't taken measurements, but they seem a little cocked towards the driver side when I am driving. Not so far that it's a hazard, but it's distracting at first.

Speaking of the winch plate, I added a Warn M8000 winch and cover mounted to a Rock Hard winch plate (along with an additional tow strap and Warn snatch block):
shiny.jpg
I also finished the skid system with a Rock Hard evap skidplate:
evapskid.jpg

Finally I added a cabin air filter, replaced a faulty thermostat (and a partial flush of the coolant,) and cleared the codes for the latter. ECO mode is back!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	676874   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	676875   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	676876   Click image for larger version

Name:	evapskid.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	781.6 KB
ID:	676879   Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	774.1 KB
ID:	676881  

Last edited by C4T; 12-31-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: '12 JKR on a budget