Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

15 JKU Project Lugnut

Old 08-22-2015, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 JKU Project Lugnut

Hey, guys I've lurked the forum for some time reading and learning as much as I can while I waited for my new 2015 JKU/Rubicon/Anvil to arrive. Coming from a 07 FJ Cruiser there was a lot of new stuff to learn when it came to how Jeeps perform. Especially in regard to suspension setups and armoring up for trails and rock crawling. I like many of you have the mod bug, having also had a 100th Anniversary Dodge Challenger. So where does anyone start when you get a new Jeep... lift/tires. I decided to go with the Rock Krawler 2.5 Max travel kit with a few extras thrown in from Northridge4x4. I went with 17x9 Method Hole wheels wrapped with Kumho MT's 315/70/R17 absolutely love the look. Then I decided to do a bit of custom graphics my wife and I have dabbled in vinyl graphics with her business so we hooked up some ideas. We came up with a Military theme that really shines with the Anvil color, so it just made sense. At this point I wanted something that would help the wife and kids get in and out of the Jeep and would replace the stock Rubicon rails. After a lot of looking we went with the Smittybilt SRC armor with the step plate on top. It helps cover the sides gives her a great step to get in and out and wards off anyone that would normally sling there door open at a store. We can't have no scratched up paint that didn't come from real off roading! I noticed on the last mod a lack of videos showing do it yourself installs as I have used youtube videos more then any other resource to help pick out future modding ideas. I decided to start making videos hoping to help other Jeepers that will potentially look at the same products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIN_k7MxOI

Future List of mods as funds become available;
Front/Rear Bumpers
Seat Covers
Portable Air
Winch
50inch Lightbar
Supercharger
Flat Fender Flares

Last edited by Lugnut74; 08-22-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Installed a VDP USA Flag mesh top, I used a Best Top windshield channel nice tight fit doesn't blow around in the wind. Slowly working through the project list, Nov should be a big month fender flares and bumpers on the menu!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

looks great! like the flag!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Very cool. This makes me wish I would've got a 4 door.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Nice looking Jeep!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Next round of mods done.. Smittybilt XRC front and Rear Bumpers. Also Black Oak Led Cubes custom made with 3watt Led's for 12 Watt total output in Amber. Plan was to have them replace the stock fog lights and use the same switch. And for Xmas.. new Aries Aluminum Tube Fender flares, gained 3.5 inches of extra clearance overstock. Next up a Quadratec Stealth Winch and I'm starting to get the majority of the major mods behind me. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and got some cool new toys for their Jeeps 8).

Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Another round of Mods completed... Still deciding on the last few mods.. down to the Winch and deciding on which type of LED lighting I want to finish off with. Also researching Snorkels I was seriously thinking about the RiverRaider, but I ran across the new one from Injen so giving it some thought as well. Which at that time I will relocate the breather lines to help keep things as water tight as possible.

Finished the install of the 3/4 Amber LED Marker lights to replace the stock lights after the Aries fender flare install. Simply reused the existing JK plug and wired the Led's into them. Also installed the DrakeOffroad Hood Latches.. no more Hood Flutter!!!!!!!!.

Also got some grab bars wasn't exactly on the need to do list until my wife said she was going to boycott the Jeep because it was hard to get into and the stock handles slide around way to easily. As they say Happy Wife Happy Life!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

After a recent Deep water slash mud outing! That got me good and stuck thankfully the hi-lift saved the day. I convinced the wife it was time to push one of the last must have mods to the front of the list. Snorkel time it was, I wanted a full enclosed unit not being a fan of AEV's unit and finally talking myself out of the River Raider setup. I went with the Volant Snorke/CAI kit #377366 everything showed up packaged well and all parts required to get started. I ended up talking to the guy that designed it as I had a few quick questions today before the install. All that out of the way it was time to get down to work it took me right at 2 hours with a lot of double checking before getting to the drilling.

The Event that led to getting this done sooner then later and yes all my Breather Hoses had already been relocated a few weeks prior.

Three hours later... free and clear chose the wrong line for fear of rolling the Jeep. I was nice and high centered on ridge of mud, the night before my winch failed and all attempts at snatching/pulling out in slick mud was a no go. Luckily we had plenty of pine trees and some good friends to take turns on the hi-lift!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Love your Anvil. I got one too. Its great to see you using your Jeep as it was intended.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Great Jeep! Love the thread.

Quick Reply: 15 JKU Project Lugnut