Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Finally going to "build" my wrangler...

Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally going to "build" my wrangler...

OK, so I bought her new in 13' just a Rubicon unlimited and I have put about 20K miles on the clock to date, some off road playing, mostly sand dunes and dirt trails, I am not really into rock climbing, although to get into one of my trials I have to drive through a pretty steep array of rocks put there to keep out vehicles, getting in isnt too scary, but leaving in a hurry gets hairy...

Anyway, I have poked around this forum a while, I figure I will post my build here, I am figuring 2 weeks to get all the parts here and then a week to install everything. i am going to order everything Thursday morning and was going to start the thread after everything arrived BUT then figured I better start the thread before I order in case I am making a mistake...

So I am not doing anything insane, by any means, just a lift, wheel tire, exhaust, air box, and maybe bumpers {havent decided yet}.

Heres what I plan to order, please don't worry about my feelings if I can get something better for a bit more money or I am going about something the wrong way PLEASE tell me.

First the lift,
2007 15 Jeep JK Wrangler 2 5" Series II Rough Country Suspension Lift Kit 634 | eBay
with steering stabilizer kit Rough Country Jeep JK Premium Dual RCX Steering Stablizer 87349 | eBay {not sure if I should get the double or single?}

Next the wheels they are 18x9 Fuel D509 Octanes with 4.5" back spacing -12mm with 295/70/r18 nitto terra grappler g2's

For a cat back I am thinking about the gibson but also considering the magnaflow....

Now I am thinking I am going to need to do something about getting the new larger spare tire on, I was thinking about a relocation bracket but not sure which one?

I am also lost when it comes to bumpers, not sure which way to go, I would like a front winch, but them are hard decisions, I would prefer to buy everything at once.

So that is it, I will use this thread to put pics of before after and the progress, hope to be done with everything by March, fingers crossed... What do you guys think? Thanks in advance...
Old 02-10-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rubicon-rangler
OK, so I bought her new in 13' just a Rubicon unlimited and I have put about 20K miles on the clock to date, some off road playing, mostly sand dunes and dirt trails, I am not really into rock climbing, although to get into one of my trials I have to drive through a pretty steep array of rocks put there to keep out vehicles, getting in isnt too scary, but leaving in a hurry gets hairy...

Anyway, I have poked around this forum a while, I figure I will post my build here, I am figuring 2 weeks to get all the parts here and then a week to install everything. i am going to order everything Thursday morning and was going to start the thread after everything arrived BUT then figured I better start the thread before I order in case I am making a mistake...

So I am not doing anything insane, by any means, just a lift, wheel tire, exhaust, air box, and maybe bumpers {havent decided yet}.

Heres what I plan to order, please don't worry about my feelings if I can get something better for a bit more money or I am going about something the wrong way PLEASE tell me.

First the lift,
2007 15 Jeep JK Wrangler 2 5" Series II Rough Country Suspension Lift Kit 634 | eBay
with steering stabilizer kit Rough Country Jeep JK Premium Dual RCX Steering Stablizer 87349 | eBay {not sure if I should get the double or single?}

Next the wheels they are 18x9 Fuel D509 Octanes with 4.5" back spacing -12mm with 295/70/r18 nitto terra grappler g2's

For a cat back I am thinking about the gibson but also considering the magnaflow....

Now I am thinking I am going to need to do something about getting the new larger spare tire on, I was thinking about a relocation bracket but not sure which one?

I am also lost when it comes to bumpers, not sure which way to go, I would like a front winch, but them are hard decisions, I would prefer to buy everything at once.

So that is it, I will use this thread to put pics of before after and the progress, hope to be done with everything by March, fingers crossed... What do you guys think? Thanks in advance...
You don't need the steering stabilizers. The factory is fine. You might want to relocate it with a kit someday but isn't required. Exhaust is just personal preference as it won't improve power or economy just sound. You can fit that tire in stock carrier but the problem is the factory hinges are not made to support that kind of weight. It can be done and some ppl have done it for years and others for weeks before problems
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Personally I would hold off on everything you have listed and do some research starting with the stickies that are at the top of the modified section.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You lost me at Rough Country.

Let me elaborate. You don't want a lift that rides worse than stock suspension.

Last edited by RubiKing; 02-10-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Personally I would hold off on everything you have listed and do some research starting with the stickies that are at the top of the modified section.
Thanks guys

I have read them stickies, kind of wear I decided to go with the 2.5" lift. I want something fast cheap and easy incase I don't like it I can take it all off and go back to stock. My rubicon stock tires are not going to last much longer and I like the look of the 18" wheel {I know 17" is better off road}, and I do go offroad, but nothing insane, just trails and sand, so I don't need more clearance or flex, I honestly am happy with everything about the stock rubicon except that I see the same jeep driving on the road, I would like to be a little different and have some nice wheels, tires, and sounding exhaust.... I have 5 vehicles so its spare car that I drive when I feel like taking it, and if it looked better I would take it more.

I am just wondering if I am on the right track, if there is something that would be better in my list, if I can add or takeout, like the stabiliser, if it wont make a difference I won't buy it...

I am on the fence about the bumpers, what are a good affordable set?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiKing
You lost me at Rough Country.

Let me elaborate. You don't want a lift that rides worse than stock suspension.
What is a good lift? I was under the assumption that it would keep the stock ride just higher, I like how it rides now...
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubicon-rangler
What is a good lift? I was under the assumption that it would keep the stock ride just higher, I like how it rides now...
If that lift is just coil spacers and shock extensions than it will ride close to stock. I am sorry, I thought that lift was one that came with springs and shocks. There are plenty of good lifts, OME, Teraflex, AEV etc....
Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiKing
If that lift is just coil spacers and shock extensions than it will ride close to stock. I am sorry, I thought that lift was one that came with springs and shocks. There are plenty of good lifts, OME, Teraflex, AEV etc....
Thanks, I don't want to change my stock springs and shocks, I paid for a rubicon to get that ride. I just want it a bit higher to fit the tires I picked and for $180 I figure its not a bad kit, not much to it...
Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Could just run some sweet flat fenders and larger tires. It will leave your suspension stock and it will look mean sitting low and wide. Won't be just another Rubicon on the road at that point.

You'll get a bit of height from the tires and increase your ground clearance at your diffs.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe_B
Could just run some sweet flat fenders and larger tires. It will leave your suspension stock and it will look mean sitting low and wide. Won't be just another Rubicon on the road at that point.

You'll get a bit of height from the tires and increase your ground clearance at your diffs.
I love my painted fenders, lol... I like how the truck looks now, never was a fan of the rubicon wheels so I knew when I wore out that rubber I would be changing them to something else, and Black.. I always figured 33-35" and I can get a great deal on the ones I listed above.. I also wanted something less aggressive than the stock tires, I like the nitto g2's they look really nice for what i do with my jeep...

I am going to install everything myself, I have a lift and all the tools {I built my 39 ford hot rod from chassis up, frame off restored my 70 coronet RT ground up {sadly don't own that one anymore, got offered $75K at a car show and sold it a week later for $81K, wish I didn't because I can not find another one, plenty of bees out there but not many RT's}, frame off did 2 69 z28's {real 302 dz cars}, built more choppers than I care to remember, installed the super charger in my tundra, etc etc etc, so I am hoping I can handle installing the parts i buy for the jeep, lol...

I just want to do it all at once, that why I may buy bumpers, I found a front on ebay for $300 I like, and I like the smitty rear with the tire hanger, and I want a winch so it would be a good time to do that too......

I am figuring about $3500-4000 all done, with bumpers, winch, wheels, tires, lift kit, cat back, cold air intake, etc. I am also thinking about buying some matching white paint and shooting the mirrors, front skid plate, new bumpers, door handles, to match the body fender and roof color...

I don't want to get too crazy about it, I just want to get all the parts, paint them if need be, and bolt them on, then put it back in its parking spot until I want to play with it again...

Last edited by rubicon-rangler; 02-10-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally going to "build" my wrangler...