Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

JKUR Cancer Awareness Build Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JKUR Cancer Awareness Build Thread

Hey guys - wanted to post up a thread on the cancer awareness event vehicle that we are working on this year. We are hoping to complete the majority, if not all of this build by mid March. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions on the thread we posted several weeks ago in regards to axle replacements, driveline components, etc. We are very open to feedback as we progress, and overall, hope you enjoy the progress that we make in the coming weeks on the build. This build has a special meaning to many people, and it is something that is very near to my family, personally. I can promise it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but at the end of the day we are Jeep family and hope that we can keep the hatred to a minimum and do our best to be constructive about the comments/replies/etc.

Vehicle:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Concept Builder: Me (Sam B. from Arkansas)
Assembly Location: Extreme Offroad & Performance - Katy, TX

Modification Plans:

- Teraflex 6” Elite Long-Arm Suspension Lift

- D60 front/rear axles (deciding on brand)

- J.E. Reel front/rear driveshafts

- 5.13 gears from G2

- 42.5x13.50x22 Interco TSL Boggers

- 22x14 Wheels (most likely LRG Rims or Hostile - bring the flame comments!)

- Entire exterior/interior of JK to be bedlined metallic black - will be completed by Pro Trucks in Siloam Springs, AR prior suspension/exterior build assembly

- Roadwire Leather Interiors black/pink interior leather w/pink contrast stitching

- Wetsounds Audio System - rear roll-cage mounting system

- R1 Concepts front/rear brake component upgrades

- RK Sport Fiberglass Heat Extractor Hood

- Royalty Core Grille - full replacement grille that I designed and provided to the company to fabricate

- Backwoods Bumpers Low-Profile Front/Rear Bumpers

- Truck Lite LED Headlight Replacements w/LED Concepts ColorMorph Plasma Halos - Headlights To Be Built by Gold Standard Lighting in San Antonio, TX

- 4, 50” NightBreak Lighting Dual-Row LED Bars Across Front, All w/Darkside Effects RGB Halos & Backlighting

- 2, Monster Hooks Mini Recovery Hooks Mounted in Front Bumper

- Sprintex Supercharged Motor

- Body Armor 4x4 Gen III Trail Doors Front/Rear

- Cargo Nack Attack from Cutting Edge 4x4 in Phoenix, AZ

- Drake Offroad Billet Trim On Interior/Exterior/Engine Bay

- Smittybilt XRC Armor Front Fenders & Rear Corner Guards

- Wheelskins Pink/Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover

- All Exterior Accessories To Be Powder-Coated hot pink

- Interior Trim (OEM only) To Be Color-Matched Hot Pink

We will post photos from requests of anything specific folks would like to see throughout the process - we will do our best to be thorough and up-to-date with replies and information as we complete each step. Here are a few shots of the stock rig, with some parts that have come in so far and some work that we've done. Thanks for watching, hope everyone enjoys.

Stock Rig photo:

Front bumper (not sure why this uploaded sideways...a few notes about the front bumper. This was built by Backwoods Bumpers in Fayetteville, AR. The owner is a personal friend and is an amazing fabricator. I wanted a very low-profile bumper, so we trimmed the front frame mounts back about 5" to recess the look of the bumper. I designed this and the rear bumper 100% so don't hold it against him if you don't like it lol. This was a quick install to ensure it looked good on the rig prior to adding the options in the front portion of the bumper. Options being added to the front bumper are 3, 3" NightBreak Lighting dually cubes, and 2 mini Monster Hooks recovery hooks.

Here is a shot of the rear bumper when it was just tacked into place. Also went with a low-profile look on this - only options being added to the rear bumper are a set of NightBreak Lighting flush mount pods that will be wired into the reverse lights.

Here is a shot of both bumpers completely finished, ready to go to the bedliner shop (these should be done on Friday and ready for pics):

Here is a shot of the bedliner in a truck bed that will be used to do the exterior/interior of the rig. Very impressed with the consistency of the coating as well as the durability. This is a heat spray process so it will dry quickly and allow us to move through the process very efficiently. The only notes here is that the bedliner material will actually have a metallic black flaking added to the spray with a top-coat.

Received the Body Armor 4x4 Gen III trail doors and did a quick test install/fit. The door frames themselves will be powder coated hot pink and the cargo netting re-applied. Very impressed with the quality of the doors - have not noticed much of the rattling or quality concerns that I have seen addressed prior with these pieces. This shot is without the optional side-view mirrors that Body Armor 4x4 offers, but we have those and they will be installed.

Here is a shot of all the boxes that the Teraflex 6" Elite LA suspension kit comes in....the quality of their suspension pieces is incredibly beefy and cannot wait to get it installed to see the difference. I ran a Teraflex 4" kit on my 2008 JKUS and was very happy with the ride quality and performance of the lift - I'm sure this will be no different!

Here is a quick photo of the Roadwire Leather Interiors OEM replacement kit that will be going into the rig. Yes. It's bright. But the color combination is on point with the theme of the rig, and having run Roadwire in my rigs before, the fit is always 100% perfect and the quality of their materials is top notch.

Here is a metal sample panel of the color choice for the powder coating. This will be present on the doors, some of the trim, windshield light brackets, Monster Hooks, wheels, and a couple other random spots on the rig.

Here is a photo of the RK Sport Fiberglass Heat Extractor Hood we are running on the JK. I love the look of most RK Sport products, and they offer a couple of really sweet looking model hoods for the JK's. Actual functioning hoods are always a plus.

That is all for now. We have things arriving on a daily basis so we will post updates as time allows. Hopefully some folks enjoy this build - and even if you can't appreciate every decision on the build, hopefully you can appreciate the cause and the awareness we hope to bring with it. Thanks for watching, stay tuned!

Sam

Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty rad. My wife is a breast cancer survivor. Kudos for bringing awareness
Old 02-17-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone from katy texas, why extreme offroad?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by arasco85
As someone from katy texas, why extreme offroad?
Know and like the guys down there. I've heard some folks aren't fans of theirs for whatever reason but I don't get wrapped up in that kind of drama.

Sam
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

My brother in-law (47) is battling Stage 4 stomach cancer. It couldn't be happening to a nicer guy and family. He's happily married to my sister and they have four wonderful young kids. His chance for survival is slim to none. Praying for a miracle.

F*CK YOU cancer!!!

Anyways, good luck with the build.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bluebear
My brother in-law (47) is battling Stage 4 stomach cancer. It couldn't be happening to a nicer guy and family. He's happily married to my sister and they have four wonderful young kids. His chance for survival is slim to none. Praying for a miracle. F*CK YOU cancer!!! Anyways, good luck with the build.
I'm very sorry to hear that. All 4 of my grandparents died from a form of cancer before I turned 2. Many more friends that have gone. I will hope for the best for your family my friend.

Sam
Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
I'm very sorry to hear that. All 4 of my grandparents died from a form of cancer before I turned 2. Many more friends that have gone. I will hope for the best for your family my friend. Sam
Thanks bud
Old 02-19-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

So today Pro Trucks in Siloam Springs, AR did some testing on the metallic flake bedliner we are utilizing on the exterior. They completed the front and rear bumpers. I haven't seen this in person and the owner said that the pics do no justice to the metallic in them. Will take some better shots tomorrow in good lighting and post up. More to come.

Sam
Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Some additional work got done Thursday-Saturday. Disassembled part of the front and replaced with the new RK Sport Heat Extractor hood that was bedlined metallic black. Also bedlined the windshield mounts and cowl. Got the Backwoods Bumpers front/rear bumpers on and installed the 3 NightBreak Lighting cubes in the front bumper and are all wired up. More progress coming in the next week.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

couple more shots and progress. another good angle of the hood and a picture of the custom grille made by Royalty Core for this build. I think it turned out awesome.

Sam

Quick Reply: JKUR Cancer Awareness Build Thread