Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

My 2016 75th Anny Edition Project

Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2016 75th Anny Edition Project

This thread is for my 2016 75th Anniversary Edition JKU. I bought it new on 4 Feb 2017 with 48 miles on it. The Jeep came with a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift kit and 315/70/17 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Meet_Alice.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	666886

The first thing I installed was a set of tail light guards.

Name:	Tail_light_guards.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	666887

Then I removed the factory rock rails in favor of a set of dual purpose rock rails with steps (the kids were having a hard time getting in the back).

They are "MAGNUM RTS71JP" steps and can be found on Amazon. I know there are a lot of options but these seemed to fit my needs the best.

Here are some pictures of the install process. They required a little adjustment and drilling out a few holes (depending on how tight you want them to fit to the body line) but all in all were not that hard to install.

Name:	Holes.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	666888

Name:	Side_step_brackets.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	666889

Name:	Side_steps.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	666890
Old 02-19-2017, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also installing the following:

Grab handles in the front and rear
Routing the antenna for the CB
Rear gear tray
Sway bar disconnects
Pillar Lights

I also had to re adjust the Smittybilt tire carrier by shimming it down by the mount to get it level. It now works like it should with zero rattles or binding.

The grab handles are just an off brand special from Amazon. They fit great but the rear hardware was too short for my liking (but a trip to the hardware store fixed that).

Name:	Grab_Handles.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	666891

I mounted the CB antenna to the tire carrier. (I had to drill a new hole as the original one interfered with the Hi-Lift jack mounting hardware). I then routed the cable through the bare grommet in the door, then followed the factory wiring in the door. Then I just ran the cable under the carpet to the center counsel. That is where my CB will be located.

Name:	CB_antenna_mount.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	666892

I also got the gear tray from Amazon. It fits great and was easy to install. It is also big enough that when it is down and locked it covers most of the cargo area.

Name:	Cargo_tray.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	666893

Name:	Cargo_tray_up.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	666894

For the sway bar disconnects I went with the Metalcloak ones.

Name:	Swaybar_disconnects.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	666895

The light mounts are also Amazon specials. They did come with foam pads on the back to protect the paint and had a hole in the back to route the wire loom through. The lights I used are the Warn 3.5"'s

Name:	Pillar_Lights.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	666896
Old 02-19-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I installed the Smittybilt tire carrier last week it never seemed to look or fit right. It did not sit level, so to fix that I used a piece of flat bar aluminum and placed it between the mount bracket and the frame towards the top of the bracket. Doing that pretty much fixed everything. I can fully open and close the door without any binding and I can push and close the rear door about as easily as when the tire was mounted on the tailgate. When it is closed it is solid and does not rattle.

Name:	Tire_carrier.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	666897

I also had to reroute the brake light wire to prevent it from getting stretched too tight.

Name:	Brake_light_wire.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	666898

Everything mounted up.

Name:	Tire_and_Jack_installed.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	666899
Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Congrats, nice looking!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryans_JK
When I installed the Smittybilt tire carrier last week it never seemed to look or fit right. It did not sit level, so to fix that I used a piece of flat bar aluminum and placed it between the mount bracket and the frame towards the top of the bracket. Doing that pretty much fixed everything. I can fully open and close the door without any binding and I can push and close the rear door about as easily as when the tire was mounted on the tailgate. When it is closed it is solid and does not rattle.

Attachment 666897

I also had to reroute the brake light wire to prevent it from getting stretched too tight.

Attachment 666898

Everything mounted up.

Attachment 666899
I'm a plumber in the Midwest and had a customer who had the same smittybuilt bumper. We got to talking and he told me to stay away/beware of it because his froze up on him real bad and he said it takes all his strength just to open it up. Just something I thought I would pass along, maybe he didn't grease it up enough? Who knows... Nice build so far though.

Quick Reply: My 2016 75th Anny Edition Project