Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Driving on beaches

Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving on beaches

Been looking to drive my jeep onto a local beach, but have been kinda nervous at the thought of it possibly getting stuck in the loose dry beach sand. anybody do this often enough to give insight on how well the jeep can go through the sand?? Ive driven it through plenty of mud and swamps with no real probs, just sand I know is far more unpredictable..
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you find out where we can go locally (mass/nh) please let me know, as I would love to go too!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20 PSI WITH 255/75/R17'S works very well on the Outer Banks both wet hard-packed and loose-blown sand.....The rental outfits around Duck and Corolla run 20 psi for their rental jeeps and have no problems.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I used to drive my Ford Exploder all over the beaches out east LI before I moved. I didn't even air down and had no problems (but you should). The jeep should be great on the sand. Just don't drive close to the water, stay in the tracks and keep your foot on the gas and you should have no problems. That is one thing I definitly miss now that I am living here. Have fun.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Its all about tyre pressures in the sand, if you get stuck just lower tyre pressure, ive been down to 8 PSI in real boggy sand...

KSK
Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

18-20 pounds is where I always drive...try to stay on the line just below the high water tide line where the sand is compacted, but not really wet...you'll see that's where the majority of the tracks are...we do a lot of surf fishing down here, and one of the big keys is not to spin the tires or hit the brakes hard...always have a wide board to support your jack base if you get stuck, and a nylon snatch cord without metal hooks on the end...if your beach doesn't have an air compressor like most of ours do in Delaware, make sure you have one on board, and a low pressure tire gauge...enjoy...it's one of the pleasures of having a Jeep!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RubyDoo likes 15 psi but she is alot heavier than stock on her stock tires when we go to Ocean shores state park.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

4wd and roll on when you park just keep a eye on your jeep to make sure you did not park on sinking sand ( what its get called down here ) people will leave then come back later that day and all 4 wheels are down to the frame without even moving a inch
Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

I have never air down my tires ( not a bad idea though, I just don't bother) while driving on the beach and I have used the brake (but will avoid it if I can), and if you do, be very, very gentle, don't slam on the brake pedal, I would say the most important thing is to drive at a constant speed and drive very smoothly. Also don't drive too slow a little speed will "lift" you car. Keep in mind that the sand near the water is usually (harder) than further away, however make sure you get the tide info in your area, I have seen more than one people get stuck as the tide was rising ( Once a brand new Grand Cherokee)... not a pretty site...

have fun.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

airing down is key. I air down to 18 PSI and can run most of the beach in 2 wheel drive.

I beach i drive is dry loose sand on Eastern Long Island, NY.

As long as your aired down, you can pretty much drive however you want without problem.
I use 4 hi, in Drive and have a blast.

at the moriches inlet

the sand doesnt look that loose because it had just finished raining, and the pictures at the inles, the sand is only about 2" deep over rocks

Quick Reply: Driving on beaches