Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Newbie: Offroading with a 6spd?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: Offroading with a 6spd?

Hey everyone, So I just recently got myself a used 07 rubi 6spd, before this i had a dodge dakota that was an automatic. I took that offroad a bit but it was all easy with a auto. Now i'm looking to start offroading my rubi, but i'm still just getting used to the whole clutch/6spd etc. Basically is there anything i should know about (what to do, what not to do) with a 6spd? how much do you use the clutch etc? i dont want to burn my clutch first time out and stuff...how does the 6spd work in 4hi/lo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

try not to slip your clutch too much. You will want to on the more difficult obstacles, but put er in 4lo and let her crawl.

You will need to spend some time getting used to the stall point and how to feather the throttle to keep her running. If she stalls, you can start the engine in 4lo with out the clutch which is a really nice feature.

Go to a moderate trail and experiment. You will be suprised at the torque and what this Wrangeler will do, but to ge the most you will need to lear to work the throttle to keep from stalling. Try different things. My jeep has gone places that some said I could not go, and even I was surprised at the relative ease this thing goes where I tell her.

Take a day on the trail to practice and experiment and see what the limits are. Time well spent. Remember, many very experienced Jeepers swear by the manual, while others swear by the auto. Now that you have the manual, learn to love it, and learn to use it.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
try not to slip your clutch too much. You will want to on the more difficult obstacles, but put er in 4lo and let her crawl.
This is what I'm worried about, at low speeds how do you avoid slipping the clutch? I know in 4lo it will crawl pretty much by itself, but what about in 4hi??
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

when you are crawling you shouldnt be in 4 hi anyway. i only use 4 hi on snowy roads or sand dunes. another thing NOT to do is shift while crossing water. you will suck water into the clutch and damage or destroy it. pick the gear you want to use the whole way through b4 entering the water!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you don't want to slip the clutch at all. WayOfLife and WayOfLifette taught me this one.

The most difficult situation will be when you are in 4 lo and 1st gear. This would be where you're crawling over rocks. Generally you won't even need to give it gas. Just let the clutch out smoothly and let it crawl. Evey once in a while I find a spot like this that I have to give it gas, but it's surprising what you can roll over without any throttle at all. You'll even be able to hit the brakes hard on the down side of a rock without stalling the motor. Just take your time.

This is MUCH more difficult without the rubi transfer case though.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

as mentioned, you should NOT be in 4HI if you're crawling on the rocks and you really DON'T need to use your clutch much at all and shouldn't need to especially if you have a rubicon. IF you need to use it, use it in conjunction to your hand brake as i've noted in the "manual on a steep grade" thread:

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you need to use your hand brake. even before you start your climb, pull your hand brake a couple of clicks up (or more if necessary) and it will help control your speed while allowing you to give your Jeep more gas. if you end up stalling, do the following:

1. pull your hand brake all the way up.
2. put your transmission in 1st gear
3. hold your hand brake with your right hand, take your foot off the brake and then put it on the gas so that you can begin moving forward - if you start rolling back, the hand brake will help keep it to a minimal and enough so that you can focuse on moving forward.
4. with the hand brake still up, begin accellerating and let off your clutch slowly. when you feel your Jeep start to grab and move forward, slowly let off on the hand brake so that it is syncronized with the movement of your Jeep.
5. once you get going, release the hand brake all together.

it may take some getting used to but it does work and will keep you from burning out your clutch.
in all honestly, after wheeling a manual for a while, you might find it difficult to wheel in anything else.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 Rubicon down here in Everett, WA which is just above Seatlle and almost never use the clutch off-road in LO range when out wheelin around here. Being your in BC the wheelin is pretty close to here, just be prepaired to start buying skid plates and a winch to get your self from being high centered.

I would be more than willing to meet you at Walker Valley ORV park in Mount Vernon, WA. and go wheeling with ya.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

as mentioned, you should NOT be in 4HI if you're crawling on the rocks and you really DON'T need to use your clutch much at all and shouldn't need to especially if you have a rubicon. IF you need to use it, use it in conjunction to your hand brake as i've noted in the "manual on a steep grade" thread:

in all honestly, after wheeling a manual for a while, you might find it difficult to wheel in anything else.
So if I use 4lo for crawling, when do i use 4hi? in mud?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat
I have an 07 Rubicon down here in Everett, WA which is just above Seatlle and almost never use the clutch off-road in LO range when out wheelin around here. Being your in BC the wheelin is pretty close to here, just be prepaired to start buying skid plates and a winch to get your self from being high centered.

I would be more than willing to meet you at Walker Valley ORV park in Mount Vernon, WA. and go wheeling with ya.
Thanks, I might take you up on that after I get more comfortable with my truck, if you are ever up this way let me know.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

well theres a first, I've always preferred the manual and probably always will while realizing an auto may be easier I'm just used to the manual at this point. But have not seen many experienced wheelers admit what you just did

Then again I prefer 3-pedal 1/4 m racing Vs. an auto so it's in my blood I reckon .

Quick Reply: Newbie: Offroading with a 6spd?