Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Newer jeeps Off road

Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer jeeps Off road

How good are the newer jeeps in water and mud? Do they hold up to regular driving in deep water say a depth of two to three feet? Live I'll central Florida and ride and hunt the swamps a lot. Currently using an old pickup in the woods.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just dandy.

If you're going that deep in water then I'd suggest the following items (at minimum):

1. 3.5" lift
2. M/T tires
3. Snorkel
4. Winch with recovery gear
Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would keep using the old pick up.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 AM
JK Newbie

Already planned on lift and tires. How about breathe tubes would they need to be extended?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:36 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would keep using the old pick up.

^ I agree with Dirty.....

Lift + extended breathers are fine. It's changing the damn axle seals every other month that would get old real fast. You might get lucky and maybe able to extend that out to 2 or 3 months but eventually you'll have to swap them out. Axle seals do not like mud......

Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

One would think the seals would be better in a jeep. Guess I'll just rebuild my old Toyota engine. I know the axle seals in my f250 make noise. The outer dust seals. I don't think there's a superduty that doesn't if it sees a dirt road even. Thanks for y'alls input.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishbones182
One would think the seals would be better in a jeep. Guess I'll just rebuild my old Toyota engine. I know the axle seals in my f250 make noise. The outer dust seals. I don't think there's a superduty that doesn't if it sees a dirt road even. Thanks for y'alls input.

You would think!

You can put axle tube seals in the front axle, but it's hit or miss. I've never run them but some claim that it only traps the dirt in thus making it easier to penetrate the seal.

I've had to change my rear axle shafts out due to leakage. Occurred after playing in some grainy mud. Luckily the dealer changed them out under warranty but now I avoid the deep mud pits.

Quick Reply: Newer jeeps Off road