Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

pulling people out

Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pulling people out

How often do you guys pull others out? my first upgrade was a JCR bumper so I could run an engo winch. Ive done 32 pulls on the winch since I got it about a year ago and only about 5 pulls are for my own jeep. I don't mind pulling people but when is enough? People will run lines their jeep can't handle and immediately go for my winch or they have an extremely nice jeep with mods but can't find $285 for an engo winch....my rope cable is trashed now from going over rocks, over hills, and hard hard pulls. I used to not mind it but it seems like now i'm paying the price for others to play. I have a friend i don't mind pulling because he'll ask before he does something if i'll pull him if he is stuck. After we're done pulling for the day he'll spend the time to run my line out and get it back in neat. Am I bitching too much or what would you do.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

If they are buddies that need a pul,l are they the kind of buddies that would help you out in a pinch? If yes then I would keep on helping. If the kind that are always too busy or inconvienced to help I would probably tell them my rope is at its end of its useful life and sorry. Total strangers? If I see somebody who is be totally stupid that I don't know I probably would pass on helping unless it was a situation where if I did not help someone could end up hurt or worse.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ezekiel97
How often do you guys pull others out? my first upgrade was a JCR bumper so I could run an engo winch. Ive done 32 pulls on the winch since I got it about a year ago and only about 5 pulls are for my own jeep. I don't mind pulling people but when is enough? People will run lines their jeep can't handle and immediately go for my winch or they have an extremely nice jeep with mods but can't find $285 for an engo winch....my rope cable is trashed now from going over rocks, over hills, and hard hard pulls. I used to not mind it but it seems like now i'm paying the price for others to play. I have a friend i don't mind pulling because he'll ask before he does something if i'll pull him if he is stuck. After we're done pulling for the day he'll spend the time to run my line out and get it back in neat. Am I bitching too much or what would you do.
I hear ya. I'm always willing to help out but to what limit? We used to do these road trips and run the hatfield McCoy trails in WV and KY. I was always the guy who had the tools, extra filters, extra fuel, extra oils, cvt belt, tire lugs, 12v compressor/pump, jb weld, zip ties, etc., etc., etc. After years of helping people on multiple outings I finally had enough and pulled back. Then, I was the bad guy. Not once did anybody offer to replace anything. Nothing! There is always one guy in the bunch that extends his services. :(
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

most won't take the time to help me pull it out and neaten it up. I don't know if it's bad to just winch out the line the 20-25 feet to the other jeep so i can keep the spooled cable tight but they just pull the brake. I've had other guys with winches tell me that "my winch is acting funny" or that their winch isn't even hooked up.

my friend said that i should do a winch jar and if i pull you out because you're being stupid that you should throw money in their so i can afford a new line when this happens and then my other option is to just replace the line with the nice synthetic line and tell people that i'm not pulling them anymore.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to wheeling..... now stop whining and go enjoy your junk.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Welcome to wheeling..... now stop whining and go enjoy your junk.
That was funny
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM
JK Junkie

You're bitching too much. If you can't go wheel with responsible friends then what does that say about you? I used to drive the biggest truck in the area and I would get the calls to pull people. I put a stop to that quick.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't use your winch if a tow strap will do. Always use the recovery gear of the person who is stuck first; so you don't mess yours up. I've heard of people asking for a deposit up front from the person you are rescuing; just incase your gear gets messed up.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by groovebus
Don't use your winch if a tow strap will do. Always use the recovery gear of the person who is stuck first; so you don't mess yours up. I've heard of people asking for a deposit up front from the person you are rescuing; just incase your gear gets messed up.
That's insane....both parts of it. I would not use someone else's gear when I know that a breakage could send the recovery strap/ chain/ etc. my direction with quite a bit of force. Furthermore- I don't know if their gear has stress fatigue. I don't trust other people's gear.

The deposit in case your gear gets messed up is also odd.......not something I've seen. If you don't want your stuff messed up then why volunteer to help out?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Recovery is part of the fun and challenge and expense of four wheeling. If the people you're with don't see it that way (proven by their own lack of willingness to pitch in), find another group of people to wheel with.

Quick Reply: pulling people out