Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

RK sway bar links on Rubicon

Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK sway bar links on Rubicon

Ok. I just want to make sure I have this correct. When I use my edisco I also want to manually disconnect the sway bar links so I don't bend anything. Haven't taken my jeep out yet since installing the lift and I'm a little nervous as it's also my dd. Don't want to cause an serious damage. Any help is appreciated...thanks.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

With e-disco you don't have to manually disconnect. Put the vehicle in 4WD. Push the sway bar button. Wait until the light quits flashing and turns solid. You're good to go.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still manually disconnect mine. There's a thread on here somewhere where a guy just did the e-disco, and the RK lift flexed so much, one side extended all the way out, then came back in the opposite direction, snapping his sway bar. The plus side is having the e-disco makes connecting, and disconnecting a breeze. No rocking the Jeep to line everything up.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
I still manually disconnect mine. There's a thread on here somewhere where a guy just did the e-disco, and the RK lift flexed so much, one side extended all the way out, then came back in the opposite direction, snapping his sway bar. The plus side is having the e-disco makes connecting, and disconnecting a breeze. No rocking the Jeep to line everything up.
This doesn't happen because the RK flexes too much, it happens due to the sway bar links not being adjusted properly and being too short.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ringer

This doesn't happen because the RK flexes too much, it happens due to the sway bar links not being adjusted properly and being too short.
Yes, this what I'm afraid of. Maybe I should just get some longer sway bar links.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
With e-disco you don't have to manually disconnect. Put the vehicle in 4WD. Push the sway bar button. Wait until the light quits flashing and turns solid. You're good to go.
I know how to use the edisco. I have used it many, many times. I was worried about bending the sway bar if my links are too short.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Yes, this what I'm afraid of. Maybe I should just get some longer sway bar links.
Test it by putting the frame on Jack stands and droop the front axle all the way. Check the swaybar. At full droop it should still have about 10deg of bend between the link and the bar itself.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Test it by putting the frame on Jack stands and droop the front axle all the way. Check the swaybar. At full droop it should still have about 10deg of bend between the link and the bar itself.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Just need a warm weekend.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lulu2533

I know how to use the edisco. I have used it many, many times. I was worried about bending the sway bar if my links are too short.
So you know what you're doing. Go for it. Or figure out if you actually have the correct length of links rather than putting a bandaid on a problem if you have it.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think I want my links any farther than they were. At about 10° up (sitting level) they still hung low when flexing. Free precautions are free. I will still take the 30 seconds to disconnect them.

Quick Reply: RK sway bar links on Rubicon