Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Rubicon Electris disconnect questions

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Electris disconnect questions

I have been meaning to ask this for a while, but have not gotten around to it.

When using the elect discos, I press the button, the light begins to flash, how long should I have to wait for it to stop flashing and go solid, indicating that I am indeed disconnected?

When I stop, it appears that the discos re-connect, as the light is dark and it requires re-push to get it disconnecnted again, is this normal?

Sigh, apparently I can't correct a mis-spell in the post title.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by btadlock
I have been meaning to ask this for a while, but have not gotten around to it.

When using the elect discos, I press the button, the light begins to flash, how long should I have to wait for it to stop flashing and go solid, indicating that I am indeed disconnected?

When I stop, it appears that the discos re-connect, as the light is dark and it requires re-push to get it disconnecnted again, is this normal?
It will only disconnect in 4WD and below 20MPH (I think it's 20 but could be lower). Sometimes, it takes some rocking or a little driving to free it up when connecting/disconnecting. Once disconnected it should light-up steady. Provided you do not take the Jeep out of 4WD it should stay disconnected until you put it in 2WD or hit the button to reconnect.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got tired of the limitations, and ended up replacing the motor with a screw assembly. Takes 5 seconds to turn the screw and disconnect. I forget the brand for the kit, but its on Northridge
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zroe
I got tired of the limitations, and ended up replacing the motor with a screw assembly. Takes 5 seconds to turn the screw and disconnect. I forget the brand for the kit, but its on Northridge
EVO makes it....

The thing that is often forgotten about with the electric disconnect is not only is it easy to disconnect but it is also easy to connect while on the trail. Twice I have purposefully reconnected my swaybar to carry a tire over a hole I knew I couldn't flex to the bottom of or to allow for a better line on the other side. This would be a PITA or impossible with any manual disconnection method.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
It will only disconnect in 4WD and below 20MPH (I think it's 20 but could be lower). Sometimes, it takes some rocking or a little driving to free it up when connecting/disconnecting. Once disconnected it should light-up steady. Provided you do not take the Jeep out of 4WD it should stay disconnected until you put it in 2WD or hit the button to reconnect.
I should be more clear, when I stop and turn the jeep off, once I restart, I have to initiate the disconnect process again, as the light is dark.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by btadlock
I should be more clear, when I stop and turn the jeep off, once I restart, I have to initiate the disconnect process again, as the light is dark.
I understood this... My 13' does not do this. I turn my Jeep off while wheeling all the time and it stays disconnected without reselecting it. I have to hit the button again to reconnect.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Electronic disconnect works in 4 hi and 4 low under 18 mph. Go over that and the light flashes until you get back under 18. i have a '14 and it stays disconnected until I turn it off. Also disconnects right away.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Electris disconnect questions