Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Starter Fluid Fix-A-Flat

Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Fluid Fix-A-Flat

Alright guys, I saw this trick done and was amazed.
Me and the fellas were out trailin at The Eye of the Needle trail around Las Cruces NM, and one of the guys got a flat. A rock had gotten between the tire and rim...beadlock? I think.....anyways, well we were gonna change the tire when of the guys had mentioned using starter fluid. No one had tried this than that one guy that had tried once before. So we jacked up the jeep and pressed the tire towards the back of the rim exposing a little of the rim. And sprayed a SMALL AMOUNT of starter fluid around the rim and light it up.....and the tire POPPED back into place locking back up....then we just aired it back up and were good to go! Forgive me if I didnt explain it clearly but I'm sure we have all heard of it, you can even youtube and see it done...its pretty cool
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mOjO_JK
Me and the fellas were out trailin at The Eye of the Needle trail around Las Cruces NM, and one of the guys got a flat. A rock had gotten between the tire and rim...beadlock? I think.....anyways, well we were gonna change the tire when of the guys had mentioned using starter fluid. No one had tried this than that one guy that had tried once before. So we jacked up the jeep and pressed the tire towards the back of the rim exposing a little of the rim. And sprayed a SMALL AMOUNT of starter fluid around the rim and light it up.....and the tire POPPED back into place locking back up....then we just aired it back up and were good to go! Forgive me if I didnt explain it clearly but I'm sure we have all heard of it, you can even youtube and see it done...its pretty cool
Thats pretty BA, I never knew that thanks for letting us know!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty standard stuff. Old school but works great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

First time I saw that trick was a while ago on one of those Arctic expedition trips with trucks, pretty crazy. There's some fail videos on Youtube where they use too much fuel and the tire catches on fire instead of popping back on the rim.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess it can also create a tar like build up on the inside of the rim which seems to piss off the tire shops. The hi lift rim hooks are amazing as an alternate. You jack up the rim which is easier that jacking up the frame. Less time consuming as well because you are not fighting gravity with your suspension. Pic below we had the tire fixed in about 4 min.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its an old trucker trick, you need to usually kick or hit the tire in some way, that allows the air between the tire and rim to burn so quickly and completely the tire pops back onto the bead. Ive seen it done a few times on over sized tires and even once did it myself with a mazda mpv tire.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, I just sprayed one can of starter fluid into the tire.... Do I light it now?? Joking
I've used tie down straps, wrapped around the center of tire and and tighten them up as tight as you can. Put the air to it, and I still have all my hair.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mOjO_JK
SMALL AMOUNT is the trick! I've also heard of people losing their fingers between the tire and rim......so keep fingers away
Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

I blast it with my CO2 tank! Pops right in. (thats what she said)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Guess I forgot to add the part about kicking it!....my bad??.....but on the youtube videos some people put too much starter fluid....could cause trouble that way haha!

Quick Reply: Starter Fluid Fix-A-Flat