Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch Basics

Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winch Basics

The reason for the post is that I've not found answers to some of the questions I have about winches (especially the newer versions) after doing searches on a few of the forums. So, can someone (or many someone's) provide some input, advantages / disadvantages on the following:

- Synthetic rope vs. steel cable?
- Wireless remote control vs. wired remote control?
- Warranty issues with the manufacturer's (Warn, Ramsey, Smittybilt, etc. etc.)

I have an older Smittybilt, which has served me well, but at my age, there's some issues with lugging the heavy steel rope around. A wireless remote sounds like a good idea, but I have no personal experiences with such. Lastly, I'm leaning toward a new Warn, as there's something to be said about peace-of-mind whilst out on the trail.

Thanks for reading, and any input.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
Synthetic. Much safer. Lighter. Doesn't rust.
To make the synthetic serve you longer, cover it from hot sun and keep it clean from sand or mud.

I prefer the wired, for added reliability and no dependence on yet another battery.

I think you can't go wrong with Warn.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think G pretty much covered it. In a wet environment, I prefer wire to rope. If you live in a wet environment, in addition to worrying about UV breaking down your synthetic (you can get UV covers for the outmost spools), there is also a concern with wet rope. You have more maintenance to keep it dry (spool it out, dry it in the sun, again UV, or get a cover), spool it back in under load. Rope is more susceptible to having an abrasive (sand) do damage. But as far as safety, as in a break under load, synthetic trumps wire IMO.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
The reason for the post is that I've not found answers to some of the questions I have about winches (especially the newer versions) after doing searches on a few of the forums. So, can someone (or many someone's) provide some input, advantages / disadvantages on the following:

I have an older Smittybilt, which has served me well, but at my age, there's some issues with lugging the heavy steel rope around. A wireless remote sounds like a good idea, but I have no personal experiences with such. Lastly, I'm leaning toward a new Warn, as there's something to be said about peace-of-mind whilst out on the trail.

Synthetic - Lighter, safer, won't rust.
Wired is more reliable, my remote is both.
I have a Smittybilt - Lifetime warranty - Great option for budget minded folks.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Synthetic - Lighter, safer, won't rust.
Wired is more reliable, my remote is both.
I have a Smittybilt - Lifetime warranty - Great option for budget minded folks.
How long have you had your Smittybilt? Mine is about 5 years old. No issues thus far. It's been used infrequently, maybe 8 or 9 times over the years.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Owl

If there is nothing mechanically wrong with your current winch I would just swap the steel for synth rope. If your set on getting a Warn (Mine is 17 years old and still works great) by all means get one. Ive never been in a position where I thought, "Gee this would be easier if I was wireless!" but I guess it couldnt hurt to have one.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
If there is nothing mechanically wrong with your current winch I would just swap the steel for synth rope. If your set on getting a Warn (Mine is 17 years old and still works great) by all means get one. Ive never been in a position where I thought, "Gee this would be easier if I was wireless!" but I guess it couldnt hurt to have one.
More good information. I thought (although I don't know why) that you couldn't swap synthetic for steel. That might be a good option.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
How long have you had your Smittybilt? Mine is about 5 years old. No issues thus far. It's been used infrequently, maybe 8 or 9 times over the years.
Little more than a year. It's the Gen 2 X20. I've used it probably 8 to 10 times. Half of those were for me, half to get someone else unstuck.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Owl
More good information. I thought (although I don't know why) that you couldn't swap synthetic for steel. That might be a good option.
Warn -- about synthetic vs steel:
Warn Industries - Synthetic rope vs steel rope: Which one is best?

After being used with steel cable, the drum and fairlead will probably be somewhat scraped or burred, which will harm a synthetic.

The same goes for snatch blocks. They should have never been used with steel, AND should be specified for synthetic. (ARB or MASTER PULL are the best)

It's no a coincidence that so many move over to synthetic.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-14-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Synthetic. Lighter, safer(in my opinion) and easier to handle. Sure maybe it takes a little more care, but I'm ok with that.
I have a Warn, and my rope on my Zeon has a covering on the first several feet so it won't chaff on the drum.

Quick Reply: Winch Basics