Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2Dr Rooftop tents

Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2Dr Rooftop tents

Hello everyone. I just ordered my gobi stealth rack for my 2dr jk and am looking into rooftop tents. I'm a big guy 6'6" so I want to find something that I can fit in and have a little space for me and the old lady. Any advice or pictures would be much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Interested

I would be interested in replies as well! Anyone?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I cannot offer any help, but I would suggest looking over on expedition portal there is a wealth of information on this.

Camping Equipment - Expedition Portal
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.. my view on this, assuming you really want to hear this.. is that these can be very dangerous.. at least from our families point of view.. But we are seeing an influx of these types of tents.. and I would rather it be a bit closer to the ground or even on a level surface trailer.

Being clumsy.. I feel that just to get into and out of using the small ladders would be a big challenge for us. Not saying these are bad and if one is numble.. they can manage this. One just seems to be limited to the space on can use, Unless there was a two door option, Because I doubt one would enjoy crawling over another and trip on the ladder. In other words.. I'm not a acrobate and I doubt many of you are as well..

I'll stick with the on the ground dome tent for the time being.. Thou as a better option.. we feel the teardrop trailers or the rugged adventure tent trailers would make a better alternative.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tae73
I cannot offer any help, but I would suggest looking over on expedition portal there is a wealth of information on this.

Camping Equipment - Expedition Portal
I saw this site and it really does not have anything on this specific topic. A lot of tents out here are larger than this rack and I want to make sure what I get fits specifically to this rack that's why I was looking for people that run this setup. But thanks though!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Well.. my view on this, assuming you really want to hear this.. is that these can be very dangerous.. at least from our families point of view.. But we are seeing an influx of these types of tents.. and I would rather it be a bit closer to the ground or even on a level surface trailer.

Being clumsy.. I feel that just to get into and out of using the small ladders would be a big challenge for us. Not saying these are bad and if one is numble.. they can manage this. One just seems to be limited to the space on can use, Unless there was a two door option, Because I doubt one would enjoy crawling over another and trip on the ladder. In other words.. I'm not a acrobate and I doubt many of you are as well..

I'll stick with the on the ground dome tent for the time being.. Thou as a better option.. we feel the teardrop trailers or the rugged adventure tent trailers would make a better alternative.
I understand and respect your point of view. Right now I don't have room at my house to store a trailer or that's what I would be going with. We don't have any dexterity issues, we are younger and both surf and do a lot of stuff outdoors. One of the reasons why we don't want to do anything on the ground is because of flash floods and bugs....I've slept in a tent many a times to find myself full of water and also eaten alive by fire ants.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am sure if you asked on there someone will be able to help you out, they have more dealings with the rtt than here.

here is two threads:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...=jeep+gobi+rtt

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...=jeep+gobi+rtt

Last edited by tae73; 09-26-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

I had a cascadia vehicle tent for our 4 door. They make all different sizes of tents. We had one of the larger ones that slept 3+ people and took up the whole rack on our 4 door. That tent had enough room to sleep my wife and I comfortable and I'm only 5'7". It would have been tight with three people.

My point being is your a big guy and one of the smaller tents that would fit a 2 door might not be big enough. They have the specs listed for all their tents up on there website. It's just finding one that fits your rack and deciding if it's big enough for you.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Cascadia vehicle tent on my 2 door. Works out good, perfect size for the wife and I. Mounted on a gobi stealth rack also.

Here is a photo of the tent open with included annex when we had it out at a state park over memorial day.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DocScurlock
I have a Cascadia vehicle tent on my 2 door. Works out good, perfect size for the wife and I. Mounted on a gobi stealth rack also.

Here is a photo of the tent open with included annex when we had it out at a state park over memorial day.
That is a nice looking setup. How long does it take to get the tent fastened to the rack?

Quick Reply: 2Dr Rooftop tents