Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Just to be clear, I was the photographer, not the fabricator. My friend, James, is highly talented at fabrication and did the bulk of the work. He's one of these kind of guys that looked at the bajillion different JK racks out there and said none were good enough. So he built his own, having me help him to shape each piece of steel pipe so that the final assembly will be curved exactly with each curve on the Jeep ...
Very nice work! That rack looks rock solid.
I enjoy building stuff for the Jeep also, or at least modifying existing parts to better suit my needs..
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Danish
I just installed my X-mas present.
I have been looking for a good way to mount my Samsung Note 8" table in my Jeep and decided to try out the new Rugged Ridge 13551.11 GPS Dash Organizer.
I decided to pair it up with an Amazon Basics Universal Dash Mount. It's hard to find good measurement information on the multiple mounts out there on the web, but for $15 I was willing to give it a try.
It turned out to fit perfectly.. it holds the 8" tablet nicely and it will even hold my Samsung S5 phone in portrait rotation. Installation was easy (1 bolt, 8mm I think and then an allen wrench for the arm).

With the tablet mounted it gives a little when going over big bumps, but it seems to absorb the shocks nicely and the tablet stays tightly in the vise-grip mount. I also think it would fit 7" tablets nicely.
Note: This Rugged Ridge solution is for 2011 and newer models.
Total cost: $45 + tax (free shipping with Amazon).

It will be nice to be able to use the tablet for real-time positioning on Topo maps (I use Backcountry Navigator which allows me to use different types of maps).
Here is some pictures of it installed (sorry about the low cellphone camera quality):
Attachment 590531
Attachment 590532
Attachment 590533
Attachment 590534
Attachment 590535
Got the same mount setup as you. I just picked up a LePan 8" tablet to run the software on. I also have a Bluetooth GPS module for speed of use. I should have it all up and running in about a week or so.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

A bunch of us in the Oklahoma area got together for what we called Central Overland Expo. Really, it was more an excuse to get together grip and grin, share mod ideas (not all vehicles were Jeep JKs), and share ideas and instruction, especially for newcomers to overlanding/expedition travel. Topics covered included trail tools, trail repairs, spares, recovery tools and techniques, cooking gear and Dutch oven cooking, camping gear, and leave no trace/tread lightly/stay the trail ethics. A couple notable JKs on display included an AEV Hemi and a RIPP-supercharged, long-arm suspension JK towing an Adventure Trailer Horizon.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of us in the Oklahoma area got together for what we called Central Overland Expo. Really, it was more an excuse to get together grip and grin, share mod ideas (not all vehicles were Jeep JKs), and share ideas and instruction, especially for newcomers to overlanding/expedition travel. Topics covered included trail tools, trail repairs, spares, recovery tools and techniques, cooking gear and Dutch oven cooking, camping gear, and leave no trace/tread lightly/stay the trail ethics. A couple notable JKs on display included an AEV Hemi and a RIPP-supercharged, long-arm suspension JK towing an Adventure Trailer Horizon.

More pictures please! I'm pretty sure I've seen the AEV He I JK on ExPo.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by toxicity_27

More pictures please! I'm pretty sure I've seen the AEV He I JK on ExPo.
Don't really have vehicle pics. But check back later this summer. Some of us, including the Hemi owner, are running Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. I'm just not sure which of his Hemi's he's taking. :yep:
Old 02-01-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice size building to meet in. Is that your shop Mark?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by irongate

Nice size building to meet in. Is that your shop Mark?
No. It belongs to the friend with the white JKU and LR Defender. It's actually for his granite countertop business, but he has a small vehicle shop and lift off in one small room. Since it rained all day yesterday, we opted to meet inside.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would be a great event to attend! It's a shame it's 8 hours away!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Anyone running a Rock Krawler suspension for expedition/overlanding? Opinions on it?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

A buddy of mine has one on his JKU and loves it. The ride is insanely smooth. I am not sure exactly which model he got but it has made me think about them. I do know he had the arms cut off and redone too to improve the geometry so that may have helped.
I am an OME guy myself.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!