Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$35K budget. What would you do?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $35K budget. What would you do?

I've been driving a 2011 F150 FX4 for the last 3 years, but my daily need for a pickup has more or less gone away. So I'm thinking it may be time to get back into a JKU. I've missed my 2007, but it wasn't well suited for the 300 miles/day I sometimes had to drive. Now the most I see is around 150 miles a day, and it looks like the interiors are MUCH nicer in the 2011+. I've crunched the numbers, and my budget is $35K++. So any advice? I'm leaning towards a Rubicon, and as a daily driver most likely will stick to tires in the 33" range as the 35's on my 2007 were a little much for a daily (but also flippin sweet). Would you buy new or go used? I'd stick to 2012+ for the new engine. Things I definitely want/need: Hardtop, Bluetooth and heated seats. Local dealer has a white Moab on the lot used for about that price, but no hardtop and well, its white. So, what would you do? Buy new and wait to mod, buy used and throw money at it, or buy a sport and trick it out? I can do all my own work. I'm kind of stumped.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would "buy a sport and throw money at it" because if you buy a higher line model, your still gonna throw money at it and then be over budget. That's just how it is!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have mechanical experience then if say go with a sport and build it with a front prorock but if not a 2013 rubi is pretty sweet, where do you live?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

The 3.6 Pentastar makes running 35's a lot easier with the 4.10 gears in the Rubi. Unless you plan to seriously mod it, I'd buy a Rubicon optioned like you want and run flat fenders and 34-35" tires with stock suspension.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jkforlife
If you have mechanical experience then if say go with a sport and build it with a front prorock but if not a 2013 rubi is pretty sweet, where do you live?
I live just South of Tampa, Florida in Bradenton.

I never thought I'd say this, but the leather seats look pretty nice for a daily driver. That said, probably not a requirement. I'm looking in to what I'd do to it, and probably a 2.5" lift and 33-34" tires would be about it for the time being. I can add bumpers etc. later on.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Westbayou
I've been driving a 2011 F150 FX4 for the last 3 years, but my daily need for a pickup has more or less gone away. So I'm thinking it may be time to get back into a JKU. I've missed my 2007, but it wasn't well suited for the 300 miles/day I sometimes had to drive. Now the most I see is around 150 miles a day, and it looks like the interiors are MUCH nicer in the 2011+. I've crunched the numbers, and my budget is $35K++. So any advice? I'm leaning towards a Rubicon, and as a daily driver most likely will stick to tires in the 33" range as the 35's on my 2007 were a little much for a daily (but also flippin sweet). Would you buy new or go used? I'd stick to 2012+ for the new engine. Things I definitely want/need: Hardtop, Bluetooth and heated seats. Local dealer has a white Moab on the lot used for about that price, but no hardtop and well, its white. So, what would you do? Buy new and wait to mod, buy used and throw money at it, or buy a sport and trick it out? I can do all my own work. I'm kind of stumped.
Well you didn't say if jk or jku. Ill assume since you can find a moab for 35 its a jk not a jku. If it is a jku scoop it up asap. I know the dealer I have 4 hours from us is the largest cheapest dealer in the world and there a out 42k for a jku moab and 36k for a jku rubi. That said both fully loaded. I would most likely get a rubi if it was me and for the most part your set for life if sticking with 33-35 inch tires. No need for lockers or gears and if sticking with 33 don't need to lift. If you going to go hardcore then just get a sport and go to town in it. Oh and I did same as you. Used to have jeeps got trucks and had a 2011 ecoboost fx4. Great truck unstoppable power and 22mpg highway but just missed my jeeping and didn't really require a truck all that often anymore
Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Well you didn't say if jk or jku. Ill assume since you can find a moab for 35 its a jk not a jku. If it is a jku scoop it up asap. I know the dealer I have 4 hours from us is the largest cheapest dealer in the world and there a out 42k for a jku moab and 36k for a jku rubi. That said both fully loaded. I would most likely get a rubi if it was me and for the most part your set for life if sticking with 33-35 inch tires. No need for lockers or gears and if sticking with 33 don't need to lift. If you going to go hardcore then just get a sport and go to town in it. Oh and I did same as you. Used to have jeeps got trucks and had a 2011 ecoboost fx4. Great truck unstoppable power and 22mpg highway but just missed my jeeping and didn't really require a truck all that often anymore
Should clarify. I'm looking for a JKU. Found a used Moab JKU in Florida, loaded up but with only the soft top. 2300 miles on it, and the previous owner slapped some oversized TerraGrapplers on it with no lift. Interestingly enough, both of the Moabs sold by this dealership were traded back in with less than 4K miles on them. The other was a rock lobster that was uglier than sin that just sold for $32500 at a Buick dealership and it had literally every option. It was also a JKU.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Westbayou

Should clarify. I'm looking for a JKU. Found a used Moab JKU in Florida, loaded up but with only the soft top. 2300 miles on it, and the previous owner slapped some oversized TerraGrapplers on it with no lift. Interestingly enough, both of the Moabs sold by this dealership were traded back in with less than 4K miles on them. The other was a rock lobster that was uglier than sin that just sold for $32500 at a Buick dealership and it had literally every option. It was also a JKU.
That's a good deal then since it's a JKU. You should be able to find a 2011+ hardtop for $1500 ish in your area.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would go for the new engine as the extra horsepower is very nice to have. Also, if you do not plan to regear, then make sure you do not get the 3.21 gearing. Opt instead for the 3.73 or rubi at 4.10. Here in the northeast, when I was shopping the only thing available was the 3.21. Luckily I had already done my research and knew that wouldn't work for me. I had to order mine so I could get the 3.73.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like this jeep is mostly for daily commuter. If that's the case, I'd get a new sport. The D30 would be more than adequate for 33" tires.

Quick Reply: $35K budget. What would you do?