Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Rubicon locker failure

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 Rubicon locker failure

Recently the rear locker on my 2012 Rubicon unlimited failed to engage, the front engages with no problem, but the light on the rear locker just keeps on flashing. I took it to the dealer, and they said the whole unit needs to be replaced, they informed me today that the warranty claim was rejected by Chrysler because of the 2.5" Procomp lift and 285/70/17" tyres It sounds more like an excuse that a reason...

Does anyone know where I can buy replacement parts besides Chrysler, or any other advice?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

First, did you contact Chrysler LLC directly. Do yourself a favor and don't take the dealers' word for granted. Try giving them a call. My rear lockers failed twice and as a result had to have the unit replaced. At the time I had a BB on it, and my dealer tried giving me crap for it and I called LLC directly, taking the dealer out of it, who fixed it under warranty. It doesn't hurt to make the call.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy on 37's and 2.5 inch lift with a 1.75 body lift and the same thing happened to his 2012 rubi, after the trail the the locker wouldn't unlock so he had to drive like that home locked lol but the dealer replaced the while inside of the diff for free, you just have to find a mod friendly dealer
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

An upgraded suspension has nothing to do with a locker failing. They can not reject the repair. That's the same as your horn not working, your stereo system failing, etc. The lift isn't the cause.

If you, say, broke a driveshaft after a lift they may have an argument.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
My buddy on 37's and 2.5 inch lift with a 1.75 body lift and the same thing happened to his 2012 rubi, after the trail the the locker wouldn't unlock so he had to drive like that home locked lol but the dealer replaced the while inside of the diff for free, you just have to find a mod friendly dealer
Yup what he said, it wouldn't disengage and it was a 3 day weekend so I drove my jeep for those 3 days with the rear locked. I took my jeep there covered in mud on 37's and jumped in a free rental and a few hours later they said "well your locker is broken and its a warranty part so were replacing the whole carrier for free". It took 8 days to get my jeep back but I got my carrier replaced for free

Last edited by bob-o; 05-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Here's a pic I took about 15miles down the road. I tried backing up, going forward, figure 8's and nothing would work. So I jumped out and took this pic lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_112758.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	462491

Here's the pic of the rental. I was having withdrawals from not having my jeep or being able to go offroad. So I had to use the rental for my offroading needs lmao
I also returned the rental like this too

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_112954.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	462492

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_113021.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	462494
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny!!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

How can you tell if you lockers aren't working (in the city not on a trail), just went wheeling and toward the end of the day the light illuminated saying I was locker from and rear but I could turn my steering wheel with ease. How can I check?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

OP...what dealership was it?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going through the same thing right now. My locker wouldnt unlock after using it. Had Jeep towed to nearest shop (1 hr away from my home). The service adviser said without even having anyone diagnose anything," if it was caused by offroading it won't be covered." .... before they even looked at it.

The next day they finally diagnosed something was broken inside the rear diff (still havent told me what was wrong), but because the rear diff assembly cost so much they had to get it approved.... which meant they had to take pictures of my lift and tires and send them in for analysis. At that point they told me that Chrysler wouldnt cover it as it was caused by my lift, even though their "engineer" said that it was definitely a defective part.

So after a million phone calls to the dealer and Chrysler arguing the point they agreed to cover it, but they said it had to be returned to factory specs for them to be able to do the repair. I asked why, they said because of the welds on suspension being welded to the differential. I said there's nothing welded to the differential and he laughed and said with a smart ass tone..."there isnt huh?". I pointed out that the welds were done to the "axle housing" which has nothing to do with the inner workings of the differential. So after so more feeble attempts to argue with me he said he'd have to talk with the regional rep and get back to me. Finally, after about 2 weeks they agreed to fix it completely under warranty. So now they've ordered parts, but who knows when they'll get them.

Sorry for the long post, but to the OP, I'd definitely fight it. Call Chrysler customer service and have them open a case. You'll probably need to talk with a manager there. Be assertive, but respectful. I think they try to deny any semi-expensive repairs hoping that people will just cave and pay full price for the repair.

PM me if you need any other advice.

Last edited by spinuck; 06-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubicon locker failure