Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

25 hours 1551 miles behind the wheel of my JKU.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 hours 1551 miles behind the wheel of my JKU.

Just wanted to share that on Monday, I had drove 1551 miles (2483 km) from Montreal (Quebec) to Orlando (FL).

I took 3 days to make it but the 1st day was the longest one, with more than 15 hours clocked behind the wheel (according to the Jeep's trip computer). On that day, we've done 965 miles (1544 km) from Montreal to Fayetteville NC. That drive was a mixed of traffic jams, heavy rain and very sunny weather... When I could, I kept a speed between 70 to 80 mph. Average mileage was 18.9 mpg (12.5 L/100 km), this was hand calculated with my gas bills.

Other days were shorter but we stopped in Savannah GA (very nice city) and on the next day, it was St Augustine FL.

I got many waves from other Jeepers during my trip. My family and I were always looking to make sure we wouldn't miss one.

I just wanted to share my lil' story as I'm tired of hearing that the Wrangler is not a confortable vehicule. Mine is a 2013 JKU Sahara, still stock and with a 6 speed/3.73.

I know most of you here already know about how great are the Wranglers but I know we have regular lurkers asking about how it is to drive one, so here is my lil' personal testimony.

Today, we're back from Cocoa Beach. Great beach! We had fun.

Rock on everyone!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a blast man, Thanks for sharing
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds awesome enjoy vacation
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't want to ride in the back seat,for very long.I drive From Wilmington de. to Naples fl. every winter.I find the Jeep is fine,the only rider in the back is my dog.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fitzz47
I wouldn't want to ride in the back seat,for very long.I drive From Wilmington de. to Naples fl. every winter.I find the Jeep is fine,the only rider in the back is my dog.
Well, no bad comments from the wife or my 2 teens (13 and 16). They all have sit in the back, I'm the only driver on this road trip and all of them said the back seat was confortable.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Your from Montreal and kept your speed limit 70-80? When I lived in upstate NY 70-80 was slow for all the Canadian drivers headed up or down 87!! Just Kidding -

That's a long drive but sounds like a nice trip overall. Hope you enjoy your time away from home!!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmike17
Your from Montreal and kept your speed limit 70-80? When I lived in upstate NY 70-80 was slow for all the Canadian drivers headed up or down 87!! Just Kidding
May be, I don't know, But one thing I noticed is that I'd pass most of the cars with a plate from Quebec, bu you guys from USA were driving quite fast...

What I can say, in the province of Quebc, the speed limit is 100 km/h (around 62 mph) and most of the drivers will average around 110 km/h (68 mph) not trying to go over 120 km/h (74 mph) as you will get a speeding ticket.

I don't know what speed over is tolerated on your highways, but going down through those nice flat roads in NC, SC, GA and FL, a lot of cars were going way over 70 mph. As the JKU is a brick, I'd set the cruise around the 70-80 mph depending on the traffic and follow it.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's a drive. I once drove from San Diego Ca to Astoria Oregon (about 1170 miles) in about 15 hours. I was going very fast most of the time (plus 85+MPH) and I was still getting passed. People in Ca drive fast everywhere. I had to do a return trip 4 day later (Brother is a coasty) driving a 26 footer Uhaul with a trailer attached to it, took me 27 hours none stop, Uhaul was not very fat. I was as sleep for almost 2 days straight after that (lol). Enjoy your vacation.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fitzz47
Yes, the back seat... I got constant complaints about it.
A brief research showed that it is simply too upright.
2 brackets, which lifted the front of the seat a bit and gave it a normal slant, solved the problem.

It is neither understandable nor acceptable that -- ever since 1941 -- the Jeep designers haven't yet figured out the proper slant for the back seat...
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
Yes, the back seat... I got constant complaints about it.
A brief research showed that it is simply too upright.
2 brackets, which lifted the front of the seat a bit and gave it a normal slant, solved the problem.

It is neither understandable nor acceptable that -- ever since 1941 -- the Jeep designers haven't yet figured out the proper slant for the back seat...
Seems I'm lucky as my 3 teens and wife never complained about the back seat. Only upgrade I did was to put a piece of plywood under the middle position as the cushion there is not supported.

---------

Back to my road tripo, I saw this while walking in St Pete Beach (FL). I bet the person who did this is a real Jeeper!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6270216.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	472744

Quick Reply: 25 hours 1551 miles behind the wheel of my JKU.