Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Arming myself with information

Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arming myself with information

So, took my Jeep in today for it's 5 yr. Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection, which was due this month. It failed. The tech guy said this is the first one he has ever failed. When asked why he failed me, he said it was because of my axles being so heavily modified.

I asked him how does having modified axles automatically defect my engine, transmission, and transfer case. He stumbled around a bit saying it just the way Chrysler does it. I explained to him that I have done plenty of research on the topic, and have heard of others who have had set ups similar to mine, and passed, just not on the axles. I explained to him I was ok, and understand that my axles wouldnt be a part of the warranty anymore, but according to my warranty paperwork, everything else should still be covered, until such time a warranty claim is in process, and it is discovered that those modified parts in the axles are what caused the issues in the items (engine, etc.) that are still covered.

After going back and forth with him, he told me he has already submitted it to Chrysler as failed, and if I wanted to dig into it, I would need to contact Chrysler directly to try and get it reversed. Total pain in the ass, but if I can get it reversed, it will be worth it. Again, not trying to get my axles covered, just the engine, TC, and transmission, which are still in stock configuration, no modifications.

So my question to you all is, have any of you had an issue like this (maybe not same circumstance), or know of someone who has gone through the warranty inspection process, or know details I may not know about the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection Process, that I can use to arm myself with when I call Chrysler to get this reversed? I had read of people on the Jeep forums who have got this reversed because of similar issues, but want to make sure I have every bit of information I can grab to make sure I can get this reversed.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I work at a motorcycle dealership and here is what I can tell you about warranty. 90% of the time it is up to the tech to decide what he is will to do to cover you, do to the fact that "if" somethings does fail and they can prove with out a doubt that your axels were the cause a powertrain issue then it goes against the techs ability to diagnose. Also I know that we are to provide pictures to the the company with a cause and correction and sometimes even if we think that it is a no brainer the will not appove a claim because the guy sitting at the computer at the other end has never twisted a wrench in his life. Now that being said in my world the way a powertrain warrany works is as long as nothing has been done to the motor or trans you be fine, but if you put in a CAI and have a failure and when we hook it up to the computer and see hey this guy has been hitting the rev limiter alot and now he wants us to warranty a busted rod we probably are not going to do it because like my mechanic says I can't warranty stupid. But i your case it just sounds like the tech is being a butt. Yes calling an OEM is a pain but most of the time they will do what they ca nto make you happy and trust me we don;t get through like an angry customer. I hope this gives you some insight and helps and the best of luck to you.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Give him the Magnuson-Moss act and tell him to resubmit it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically it's their screw up, have the dealership get it reversed. Speak with the service manager and explain that the tech now agrees to pass it with an exception of the axles. They will be able to communicate better and faster with chrysler than you ever will, and it will save you numerous headaches. Believe me. My warranty was voided on my Jeep by my dealership. Long aggravating story.

Quick Reply: Arming myself with information